GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured i'd show you guys some pics. I got my bracket from tejcurrent. It can hold 2-3 alts, whichever you choose to run. The kit with all of the hardware and long belt is 330 shipped without alts.

Tejcurrent pointed me to a sweet deal on brand new factory 130 amp alts for 66 bucks a piece that im running for now (speedycarparts.com), along with my powermaster 240amp one i've had for a bit. It'll give me about 500amps max of power. The instructions were very good, along with pictures.

The bracket took about 4-5 hours just to get everything correct. Relocate the "brain" a few inches forward and zip tieing some hoses out of the way. I assembled EVERYTHING on the bracket before i lifted it all into the truck, takes 2 people to get it lined up correctly.

And here is a mark i drew on the tensioner, just with the 1 alternator and factory belt. Just to see how much more tension was on it after the 3 alts and new belt. Not too bad at all, i've seen some peoples installs where their tensioner is maxed out.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
that one crazy set-up!!!

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
straight sic!!!! nice set up

·
Medicated and Motivated!!
1,122 Posts
Awesome!!!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's crazy! Nice work though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'd definitely recommend this kit for any of your guy's 5.3/5.7/6.0 truck. DC power and mechman both wanted at least 400 for their kits.

·
Registered
223 Posts
When you run that much power do you have to do anything to protect the batteries or car wiring from getting overloaded or anything like that?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
When you run that much power do you have to do anything to protect the batteries or car wiring from getting overloaded or anything like that?
That's what voltage regulators are for. You can't have too much charging current, just too much voltage.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the alts are internally regulated as well. running mutiple alts wont hurt anything

·
Registered
994 Posts
nice charging setup! and still room to grow on battery capacity! That D9 draws prob 550a or so..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice charging setup! and still room to grow on battery capacity! That D9 draws prob 550a or so..
Yup.. I have a show this weekend. After it, the D9 is up for sale and im gonna get 2 4k's

·
Registered
994 Posts
too bad its not a D5, looking for a really good 0-600 amp

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. Alt's held up nice for the 2 hour drive to the show this weekend. Got me 2 1st places in my classes. Voltage was much better than before.

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
This is badass.

how much was the bracket?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bracket was 330 shipped including all the hardware and the longer belt. tejcurrent pointed me to a website that has stock GM 130amp alts for 66 bucks a piece so those two alts were cheap.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
bracket was 330 shipped including all the hardware and the longer belt. tejcurrent pointed me to a website that has stock GM 130amp alts for 66 bucks a piece so those two alts were cheap.
Doesn't it make more sense to just get a 300+ amp alt with a smaller pulley than to spend $462 for 2 alts and a bracket to still have poor idle current?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Doesn't it make more sense to just get a 300+ amp alt with a smaller pulley than to spend $462 for 2 alts and a bracket to still have poor idle current?
i spent $500+ on my 230A alternator. and you can only get so much out of 1 alternator.

plus haven't you heard mo is betta.

great set-up man i'd love to get back into my truck with audio stuff. seems like everything is either blown or broken and i've completely lost interest. oh well maybe one of these days. i'm working on a home theater set-up as of late.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts