GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a 5.7 vortec powered tahoe and need any help you can give me. Went to my truck last night and it wont start. It cranks and cranks and cranks, but wont start. Every now and they it rumbles a little like it wants to start but nothing. I pulled a plug and i have spark. And i have fuel at the schrader valve ontop of the intake. It just so happens that i filled up with gas last week and parked the truck within a mile of getting gas. Anything i can try before i take it to the shop. Thanks for the help.

·
481 Posts
sounds like the fuel pump. If you have acces to a fuel pressure gage, put it on the shrader valve on the fuel line on the manafold and cycle the key on. A healthy pump should be around 50-60 psi. You can also have someone crank the engine while you hit the bottom of the tank a few times with a rubber mallet, this works everynow and then to "jump start" the pump out of its dead spot.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the pump is brand new like a month ago. i dont have a gauge but it shoots fuel out of the valve just like my brothers tahoe. I will try to track down a gauge though.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Is the security light in the dash on?

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,655 Posts
did you try to stab the throttle when starting it?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i tried some throttle when starting and nothing. After class today im going to get a gauge and check the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Check to make sure the dist. cap is good. My wife's old truck was a 96 and the a.c. line would drip water on the dist. cap until finally one day it wouldn't start. Replaced the cap and it fired back up.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
dont tbi trucks have digital spark timing like genIII's? Do you have a tachometer? Take off your injector connector and see if it's getting signal when you try to start it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts