GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I just installed the Bilstein 5100s and my truck still rocks back and forth, while driving on freeways especially. It feels like I'm rockin and rollin up and down, like I'm on the bow of a boat. It damn near throws me out of the seat at 75mph. It doesn't happen all the time, just certain stretches of highway. I've driven on the same stretches of freeway in different cars without this problem, so I know it's my setup. I replaced the POS fabtech shocks with the bilsteins hoping to clear up this problem. Unfortunately, the rockin is still there. Overall the bilstein ride is better but I still have that problem. Any ideas? I've got 5 inch blocks in back, could that be doing it? Do I need new leafs? My torsion bars are cranked about 1/2 and inch. I still have about 3/4" of thread left on the stock keys. Any help would be appreciated and thanks ahead of time.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
i could easily see how too high of tire pressure and lift could cause this problem...could also just be the tires themselves...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jellyrolls said:
have you checked the backseat :LOL: :ninja:
I'm not complaining about the rocking in the backseat. I actually like it. Less work for me to do :head:
I just called bilstein and they said it doesn't matter which way I mount the 5125 shocks. It's a matter of preference and what fits better. So I'll lower the tire pressure and see how it rides. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my fiance took my truck into her auto class and the 2 ASE master technicians that teach the course said it's a common problem found in shorter wheelbased trucks. Highways have a rolling construction which happens to oscillate and resonate with our trucks, especially at certain speeds. It's apparently worse in the fast lanes (which is where I do most of my driving) I guess I"ll have to keep it slow in the right lanes. I suppose lifted trucks on 35s aren't supposed to be doing 80 mph in the fast lanes anyways. I'll let a little air out of the tires to see if that helps out at all.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's weird, not a rough ride, it's like it physics class when you study wave forms and you have the waves colliding. Need the physics guru here. It's like the frequency of the bumps in the road offset the suspentions reaction causing it to buck. There is one road I go down that it does it down, my dad's '03 RCSB stock GMC does it also. My '95 doesn't. All 3 are stock.

·
Wheel guy
700 Posts
My 2001 was a 2wd extended cab short bed truck and I had it lifted 9" on 36" tires and I would drive it 100+ mph in the fast lane and it felt sturdy and planted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts