GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2002 Chevy 1500 is acting up on me. when i turn the key the starter clicks and it sounds like the solenoid is just clicking. I have replaced the battery and the problem went away for a week. it is now doing it again. after a few tries the truck will start and i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from cutting off.

once the truck warms up it idles and runs fine. once i turn it off it will do it all over again. this morning my clock reset so i am thinking the problem is electrical and fuel related. please help

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Re: truck starter makes a clicking sound and is hard to start. wont idle till warm he

Check those cable connections. from the ground, to the alt., to the starter. Loose connections are amazing pains in the ass.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: truck starter makes a clicking sound and is hard to start. wont idle till warm he

my 2002 Chevy 1500 is acting up on me. when i turn the key the starter clicks and it sounds like the solenoid is just clicking. I have replaced the battery and the problem went away for a week. it is now doing it again. after a few tries the truck will start and i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from cutting off.

once the truck warms up it idles and runs fine. once i turn it off it will do it all over again. this morning my clock reset so i am thinking the problem is electrical and fuel related. please help

Unbolt the battery positive cable, seperate both red cables (don't lose the lead spacer), and inspect for corrosion. If corrosion is present, replace the corroded part(s). If no corrosion is present, encure that the cables cannot be rotated when bolted together to the battery. They need to be nearly obscene tight to prevent roatation (looseness). I typically grab the round shoulder of the bolt and tighten with slip joint pliers.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts

Unbolt the battery positive cable, seperate both red cables (don't lose the lead spacer), and inspect for corrosion. If corrosion is present, replace the corroded part(s). If no corrosion is present, encure that the cables cannot be rotated when bolted together to the battery. They need to be nearly obscene tight to prevent roatation (looseness). I typically grab the round shoulder of the bolt and tighten with slip joint pliers.
yeah but once the truck is actually running it runs off the alternator...corrosion shouldn make it bog down and wanna die? just my .02, sounds fuel related and it might be the wiring on your starter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts