GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 GMC sierra. I had a viper 791x alarm with remote start installed shortly after purchase. My truck just started starting at random. Middle of the night basically when ever it wants. I replaced the remote thinkin maybe that was the problem. New remote and still doin it. Could it be one of the boxes? Im lost.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
My alarm on my S-10 would go off for no reason at random or give a couple whoopwhoops then shut up. I don't think it ever started on it's own though.
I do remember it goin crazy for a couple weeks straight goin off in the middle of the night for no reason.
Like i'm sitting outside looking at it then it suddenly goes off for the hell of it....
Ohh wait, it started once when i left it in reverse...5spd. Fucker hit the porch but wasn't moving but maybe a mile per hour so it didn't hurt anything.
I had a water leak though and always blamed it's strangeness on that?

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
Maybe someone is interfering with the signal? Garage door opener or something. Or it could be just the alarm itself. It would be intresting to see what it is though. I have a remote start on my truck but never had that problem. Although when I have the keys in my pocket and are working, I sometimes start it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought maybe I was doin it at first. But then it started in the middle of the night. Thats crazy, I have a coolant leak too! It does it at random. Sometimes you can go days without it doin it, and out of the blue it starts again.

·
why jonny ringo...
629 Posts
I can't remember on that one, but some had a voltage sense and would start when voltage dropped too low, thought it was a setting in the programming, it may be a clifford thing and not a viper

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I can't remember on that one, but some had a voltage sense and would start when voltage dropped too low, thought it was a setting in the programming, it may be a clifford thing and not a viper

I know you can program Clifford alarms to do it. My Solaris has that option.

·
Obsessive Truck Addict
41 Posts
I have this alarm also, had it installed at Cartoys. When they put mine on, they left the stock alarm on there too, and said not to mess with the old stock remote. Well I put the old remote away, and my truck started at random at night. I was like WTF, so I shut it off but had to go out side and open the doors cause even though I turned it off, the subs were setting the alarm off. I was blaming it on my dad having the same alarm on his truck but he doesnt have remote start. I will also be curious how this turns out.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Id check the white/blue wire coming off the alarm. My old one would start like that because that wire caught something and would short out at weird times

·
Registered
547 Posts
well the ungo (which is the exact same alarm) has a program feature so that you can have it remote start at a specific time every day.... I would almost guarantee this is what is going on, look through your owners manual and it will talk about it

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
the ungo is not the same! Ungo is made by Clarion not DEI

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
i think the voltage thing is whats doin it. i have the same alarm and mine did the same thing for while i found that my radio was draining the batt. fixed that and fixed the problem....

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Does the alarm shut the truck off after the alt. charges the battery back up? That would be nice

-John

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
yea after how ever long you have your remote start set for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts