GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , bought a new truck recently. And tested the 4WD out. So I switched it to 4HI and worked fine then back to 2WD worked fine.. Put it in neutral and switched it to 4LO, now it's stuck there and can't get it back the electronic dial doesn't even blink the light is just constantly on 4LO. ?? I've tried a new switch and still doesn't work , tried disconnecting my battery and resetting everything still nothing .. Help!!!!

·
4,725 Posts
What parameters?
Engine running?
What transmission gear?
Rolling or stationary?

·
Registered
122 Posts
This may sound dumb but trust me I've done it lol, you switched to 4-LO by going into neutral and twisting the dial, than put it in drive and started testing it I'm assuming, now you have to go back into neutral to take it out of 4-LO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's stuck no matter if I'm moving or not engine on or off. Recently heard some noise when I backup ... 50% of the time it will make like really bad creeking wood floor sound. Not sure if its trying to switch back to 2wd or not

·
Registered
34 Posts
My suggestion would be to have it towed to a shop. If its starting to make goofy noises and you have tried everything, I would not risk it anymore...

·
Registered
332 Posts
You are making sure you have it in neutral, and foot firmly on the brake pedal? Mine wont shift out of 4-lo unless the brake is pressed hard. When you try to disengage 4-lo does it make any noise at all? Do you hear any clicking like the motor or solenoid is working or does it just seem dead? I had another truck a few years back that got stuck in 4-lo. The pin that engages the 4wd broke while in 4-lo so when I would turn the switch back to 2-hi you could hear the motor and solenoids click but the pin would not release keeping in engaged. If nothing clicks or sounds to be working I would guess the encoder motor is bad.

·
Super Moderator
5,982 Posts
That happened on my 2011 and got a message "service 4wd system" all I did was put it in neutral turned the key off, turned it back on and turned the dial to 4 hi and the lights started blinking then I heard it switch, from there I switched to 2 hi and haven't had a problem since, I hate these electric 4wd systems, my 2004 would do the same thing multiple times every winter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I didn't press the brake when trying to switch it out of 4LO, It's only 4LO that it won't switch out of. And ya I've tried the neutral thing. And nothing. Also no clicking or noises. The light doesn't even blink it's just says where it is. I took the actuator off and turned the gear. And when I put it back on it was in neutral ( for towing )and got it back to 2wd. Then tried auto , 4hi , and everything worked as soon as I put it back to 4lo it was stuck...

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
you should try reading your manual and follow the directions exactly. i feel like this is a user error not vehicle error.

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but since when do you have to press the brakes to shift out of 4Lo? Slow roll gear selector in neutral, if that doesn't work start checking parts.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe im confusing my Silverado with my ranger. The ranger will only come out of lo if the brake is applied. I was pretty sure my 05 Silverado was the same way? Guess I'll have to try it as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya I was reading the handbook and it says to try and switch in to 4LO while rolling forward. But gonna try everything. Hopeing it's nothing major !

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
For me, it has always been while moving at 2-3mph and changing out of gear ( no gas and no brake ). Always switched out smooth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts