GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just bought the truck from red02chevy about a week ago at Heatwave. We met in Austin and he bought my crewcab and i bought his bagged 02 RCSB 5.3L that i have now. The knew the truck needed some things finished and fixed on it but it needs more than i expected. No big deal cause i can handle it and in the end, it will all be done right with quality parts but im just getting started on it. It looks like the bag setup was done with quality parts though. Ill just be upgrading the current 2-link to a 6-link asap and ill be finishing some other things on the truck. When i got the truck, the A/C wasnt blowing cold but he agreed to pay to fix it so i took it to the shop and had it fixed.

I had it in the shop for a few days as it wasnt just your usual a/c recharge. There were some wiring issues they had to sort out which they did and now the A/C blows ICE COLD! :head:

However, when i got the truck back, i noticed at low RPM's, the truck would idle rough and run rough like it had a miss but once i started to drive again, it would seem ok. I picked the truck up right at closing time so i couldnt just go back right at the time so i just drove it home. The rough idle got a little worse and now the check engine light came on so i decided to get it checked out today. I had it read on the dealer scanner and it came up as PO300 (Multiple misfires). WTF? I dont remember the truck running like this on the way back from Austin so it had to be something that happened at the shop when the A/C was being fixed or its a coincidence...

What could it be? Im hoping this has happened to someone else so i can find out what it is and fix it. Im sure its something stupid but i have no idea what to check first??

Ill be taking the truck this next week to Kingpin Customz to have the rear upper bag brackets replaced. When i bought the truck, the passenger upper rear bag bracket was cracking on the weld and bending up from being too weak. He also agreed to cover the cost to have it fixed so im going to pay the difference and have both the upper brackets redone to hold me over until i order my KP 6-link. Im also going to have the tubs welded in the front and the fuse box properly covered up and relocated to a solid mount like it should be. Right now it is just a pile of exposed wires and thats how i got it but i cant leave it like that. Its moved out of the way from the motor and tire but its not sealed like it should be. I dont even drive it if its wet or raining because i dont want to mess anything up before i get the tubs and stuff in there. Im sure he has driven it through the rain and stuff but i dont want to.

Heres a pic of the fuse box...

IMG_1291.gif

Also, would your mass air cause any problems if it is too close to the throttle body? The intake setup that came on the truck is really short and im not sure if i want to keep it like this. It goes from throttle body to a piece of rubber hose that connects it to the mass air and then the air filter right on the end of that?

Heres a pic...

IMG_1290.gif

LMK guys! Thanks!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Reasons I don't buy modified shit.

I wouldn't have a clue where to start bro, check all the wiring. That looks like SHIT.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i always told myself i would never buy someone elses headache but i took the chance since i was wanting to get out of the crewcab. He paid what i still owed on it which i probably could have got for it if i sold it outright and i bought his for almost half the price. Good thing is it got me out of some debt so i can pay some stuff off and i also got the RC 5.3 i was wanting back since i sold my 01. I only did the deal because i already have another truck as a daily driver and i didnt need the 4 door anyway and because i wouldnt have to wait for someone to buy mine and we could get the deal over in one shot. I had been wanting another RC so i figured id take the chance.

It really is a nice truck but it just needs a little more work and finishing than i expected (mainly just under the hood) as you can see. The truck only has 47,000 miles on it. Its just dirty from the fenders not being in there and the wires make it look really bad but once it covered up, it will look nice and clean again. Like i said, nothing i cant handle but at least i know when its done, it will be done right but im just getting started on it....

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Just seeing that bungee-cord holding the expansion tank would have made me walk off in a hurry.

Hopefully it's not something major

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I don't know where to begin. :anitoof:

To put it nicely... THAT LOOKS LIKE SHIT! Bad wiring will haunt you for months. I'd rip it all out and rerun the harness. :read: Whoever is responsible for that hackjob should be kicked in the nuts. Did you open the hood before you paid for it?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw some pics of it online but no, never opened it up to see it in person until i got back to my sister apartment in Austin. I was :flame: when i saw it for the first time in person but what could i do... The paperwork and bank deal was done before we actually met to swap anyway so by that time, i was taking the truck home either way. It was already in my name and it was the weekend so the banks were closed. I appreciate Jonathan taking care of the things he said he would. He kept his work and paid for the A/C to be fixed and the bag bracket to be replaced but he definitely left it in a way i wouldnt have. Im extremely picky about my stuff! I was actually on the verge between either just throwing it on ebay to get my money back or actually fixing it and finishing it like I want it.

You guys really think i should rip it all out and do it all over again? How long would that take and how hard would it be to figure out?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Really depends what all has been hacked up, why, where, and for what reason.

I see wiretaps/scotch locks in there... you don't really want those on a main harness.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really depends what all has been hacked up, why, where, and for what reason.

I see wiretaps/scotch locks in there... you don't really want those on a main harness.

I know, i dont even know what half the stuff was tapped or moved for??? I dont want to rip it up myself cause i dont know anything about it and i would probably just make it worse.

I might just get a price from Kingpin when i drop it off for the other stuff and see if i can just have them do all that as well....

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
i can't see any pics :think:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I just don't understand how anyone could essentially pay for a vehicle without even seeing it in person. If I were you, I'd drive it back to him, and get the deal straightened out. I would not purchase the pos in those pictures for anything other than spare parts, and I'm even pretty picky about those. You got screwed. There's no other way to look at it. Whoever sold you that truck should be severely beaten, but I also blame you for not opening the hood.

It could take several hours, but the end result would be well worth it. If you plan on keeping it, you'll need to rewire it. You can't exactly sell it in that condition either, unless you find someone else who won't open the hood. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's weird. You should be able to see them...

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I definitely won't be buying a truck over the internet again. I guess I just assumed since I was honest and my truck had no problems that his would be the same but yeah, I realize I did get screwed now that I'm starting to get into it a little deeper. Nothing I can do about it now but fix it myself and move on....

·
GMFS Member
5,980 Posts
taylor, you saw pictures of the truck and i told you every single problem that i knew of. The truck NEVER misfired when i owned it. I also told you the truck had hardly ever been driven in the rain when I had it. I know that the wires and everything didn't look that great at all but you know why the tubs weren't done.

The crew cab isn't problem free. I am not going to get into that like you have. We both know what the problems are so that is all that matters.

I don't want this to turn into anything what so ever. I just want other people to know that you knew what you were buying.

Good luck with finding out what the problem is.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
I can't see the pics either :think:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
taylor, you saw pictures of the truck and i told you every single problem that i knew of. The truck NEVER misfired when i owned it. I also told you the truck had hardly ever been driven in the rain when I had it. I know that the wires and everything didn't look that great at all but you know why the tubs weren't done.

The crew cab isn't problem free. I am not going to get into that like you have. We both know what the problems are so that is all that matters.

I don't want this to turn into anything what so ever. I just want other people to know that you knew what you were buying.

Good luck with finding out what the problem is.
Yeah, i saw the pics of the truck and you told me some of the things that needed to be fixed or that was wrong with it but it was still worse than i expected when i saw it in person and you know that. I know you can agree because we walked around the truck while i pointed all the things out i didnt know about or that i wasnt happy with and i didnt even pop the hood. I guess thats a stupid move on my part but oh well... Either way, that is neither here nor there. We agreed that you would fix the A/C and the bracket and you came through on that so i have no complaints as far as that goes. Thanks for holding up your end. Honestly, if i would have seen the truck in person before we closed the deal, i can say now that i wouldnt have done the deal but thats my fault for closing a deal on a truck i hadnt even seen in person yet. Looking at it now, i might as well have kept the higher payment on the crewcab since all i did was pick up a lower payment on this one but also a maintenance bill along with it. I know you said you barely drove it in the rain. It was your truck at the time so it was your choice to drive it through a flood if you wanted to but i personally wouldnt have left the fuse box the way it was to begin with even if you were holding off on putting the tubs in because you hadnt made up your mind to leave it alone or body drop it yet.

Honestly man, that crewcab has no problems and if you feel that it does, I told you if you werent satisfied, im more than willing to meet up with you and trade back like i have told you several times... There are no mechanical problems with that truck at all! It is an almost stock 06 crew so how could there be any problems? lol Its still under warranty.

I agree on not wanting to make a huge deal of this man. The only thing i asked of you was to hold up your end on fixing the things we had agreed on and you did so thats cool. I didnt entirely know what i was buying to the full extent but i knew of some of it. I am upset that the truck was not what i expected but its my fault for agreeing to take the deal before seeing it in person. No big deal! Shit happens. You make mistakes and you learn from them... Life goes on. Thanks for the good luck.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
It is an almost stock 06 crew so how could there be any problems? lol Its still under warranty.

Yeah... how can it have much, if any issues being new and stock... :hmm: :hmm:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I agree on not wanting to make a huge deal of this man. ......... No big deal! Shit happens. You make mistakes and you learn from them... Life goes on. Thanks for the good luck.
Fuck that. This is bullshit. You traded a very clean crew cab for the POS in those pics, and it's a complete hack. I can't believe you're just taking it as a lesson learned and not trying to do something about it. Is there anything else besides the bungee cord securing the overflow tank to the truck? :LOL:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
i am not going to go into detail. taylor knows what im talking about. like i said taylor and i have already talked about the issues with the crew cab and the red truck.

I'd be curious...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts