GMC Truck Forum banner

2321 - 2340 of 2374 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Didn’t you just ruin this whole thread to justify a POS handheld getting you better MPG?
I did say it got about 1mpg more but honestly thats not the point , sure its an added bonus but at the same time I had added the k&n intake and magnaflow exhaust .. So who the hell knows if it was one or the other or the combo of them

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
They do but im not sure if anyone uses it lol
Anyone doing bolt ons or tuning is shooting for tq / hp
Wat?

A muffler and CAI isn’t a bolt on, and a handheld isn’t a tuner.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
One of my favorite handheld stories:

Neighbor was raving about his, getting 5mpg more, instant throttle response, can burn tires now, ext.

Anyhow I rode with him and started playing with it, it was locked to a completely diffent truck. It was doing absolutely nothing. The look on his face when I unplugged it was priceless.

·
Administrator
3,351 Posts
One of my favorite handheld stories:

Neighbor was raving about his, getting 5mpg more, instant throttle response, can burn tires now, ext.

Anyhow I rode with him and started playing with it, it was locked to a completely diffent truck. It was doing absolutely nothing. The look on his face when I unplugged it was priceless.
Kinda like in a controlled "scientific" test where they give some of them a sugar pill that does nothing but the people magically start feeling better LOL

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Kinda like in a controlled "scientific" test where they give some of them a sugar pill that does nothing but the people magically start feeling better LOL
When I was parting out truck regularly we tested a good bit of handhelds that were left in the trucks.Read some pcms with HP after applying the handheld and they were laughable terrible.

Adding around 100% pressure to upshifts and removing all torque management, while still retaining factory WOT limits of 5,200 and 5,400 rpms. So basically neck breaking shifts with zero preformace gain.

All about what they feel not actually gain, I guess they know there consumer base are idiots.

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,439 Posts
Adding 100% line pressure and removing all torque management is the quickest way to blow a 4l60e to shreds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,148 Posts
When I was parting out truck regularly we tested a good bit of handhelds that were left in the trucks.Read some pcms with HP after applying the handheld and they were laughable terrible.

Adding around 100% pressure to upshifts and removing all torque management, while still retaining factory WOT limits of 5,200 and 5,400 rpms. So basically neck breaking shifts with zero preformace gain.

All about what they feel not actually gain, I guess they know there consumer base are idiots.
Yea I wasn't going to go down that rabbit hole as I knew he would not know what I was talking about. Some only give you seat of the pants by adjust shifting

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
My trans did not like tow haul with what I had done to the trans. Shifts were violent af in T/H but the way it shifted otherwise was great. Would click off shifts firmly but wouldn’t snap your neck. Shift points after it got tuned were 6k iirc

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,148 Posts
Problem is like with most times is that rarely the HP numbers are rarely backed. Most of the time what people feel is the tm being removed. And with gas motors you are not gaining much hp from a tune alone.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,148 Posts
Iirc it was hypertech that did zero actual tuning and just changed tm and trans settings but claimed hp increase.

Also canned tunes are pretty white bread.

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,439 Posts
spotted in the wild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2321 - 2340 of 2374 Posts