GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did everyone get their first truck? How much? What'd you put on it? (i need some opinions cuz i'm getting my first truck soon and im limited on cash but i dont wanna buy a truck that i wont want to spend money for a suspension and stuff)

·
Banned
487 Posts
73-87's are best for cheap buildups. my firs twas my 1985, 350, TH400, np208, 31" tires, nice straight body. i put 9" lift, 3/4 ton axles, 40" super swmapers, and a 454 in it. The lift all cost me about $500 including shocks and steering correction, i got the 3/4 ton axles for $450, the tires were 900, and the 454 was 1000, but i sold the truck it was in for $700 so it was actually only about 300.

So thats about $2150 for a completely built up mud runner, lots cheaper than a new chevy. BTW- i was the same age as you, in HS.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
old bronco or k5's in good condition are great to mod, also if your really limited check out dodge raiders and older cj7 jeeps

·
Chevrolet Owner
315 Posts
i got my first a couple of years ago. I made the mistake of selling my car before researching how much the truck i wanted was actually gonna cost me. Because of this i had to settle for something that wasn't exactly what i wanted. the 73-87 trucks are awesome and built very tough. You can't go wrong with one of those. If you get a 73-75 then you don't have to worry about smog either.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Jeeps are the shit for cheap. And easy to lift... And old blazers are also nice, and you can find one in good condition for pretty cheap. Not for sure how much you are looking to spend so that would help with our input.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
8 grand!!, hell get a obs single cab(or ext cab) z71 or a 2dr obs tahoe. But what exactly are you wanting to do with it, if you want to go lift it quick and have good capability offroad, i would get a k5 tho.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I think a K-5 is the way to go...u can find a 88-91 in gc for around 4 grand...got the FI 350s, 700R4, a lot of hte good stuff...and they are cheap as hell to build...you spend $4K on the truck, dump the other 4K into suspension, you can be sittin on 3/4 to 1 ton runnin gear, like 8" of lift and 38s if you lil heart desires...lol...and k-5s have a ton of room in the back...good place to...umm...sleep??? lol

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
k5 became the 2dr blazer right?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
K5? I want to get a truck to lift about 6-9 inches, not offroad..but just for the looks. I want a truck that looks nicee.. the older model silverados are ick... dont u think? What would be BEST for looks and to lift and cheapest in the 8000$ range?

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
BobStaMan said:
K5? I want to get a truck to lift about 6-9 inches, not offroad..but just for the looks. I want a truck that looks nicee.. the older model silverados are ick... dont u think? What would be BEST for looks and to lift and cheapest in the 8000$ range?
:eek:

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
$8,000 is alot of money. You can get a damn nice truck for 8 grand. If I had $8k sitting around right now, I'd be all over a mid 1980's K5 Blazer or pickup (which can usually be found in great condition for around $3500-$4000 around here), and use the rest to mod the hell out of it. :rocking:

But thats just me. :crazy:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I agree with the rest of the people. If I wasnt handed my truck I would have bought either a 92-96ish 2dr blazer/hoe and SFAed it or bought a early 90s k5 and swapped in 1 ton running gear with lots of other goodies.

·
rockin wheelies
284 Posts
I got my truck for 7 grand stock and it's a 98 gmc the firs mod was new tires and wheels :bowtie:

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
check it out, you could get a k5 for like 1500-2k, then spend the rest on suspension, wheels, tires, gears, and all that crazy offroad shit you guys do, you'll already have the solid axle....

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
I really want an old model solid axle truck. I love how the blazers look but the fullsize trucks also look killer. Like eveyone else says the truck is cheap and has a lot of easily upgradable parts.

·
Original Members
1,090 Posts
dude get a blazer they are all u could ever want in a badass strong truck, believe me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts