GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My catalytic converter is screwed up on my tahoe. The muffler shop said 250 for a new one, or they will take it off, run two glass packs with tips out the back for 200, which would be much much better. Someone told me that removing the catalytic converter would screw with the computers and cause it to run improperly. Is this true? Anyone have a clue or has anyone done it to their ride?

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
yup.. i would say keep the cats unless you have some O2 sims or proper tuning on your PCM for gutted cats

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
95 tahoe, 350, a piece on the inside broke loose is what they said causing it to rattle bad, and they also said it was probably blocking something off because when i floor it doing 60 or so, instead of going faster it feels clogged and i end up slowing down. the rpms fly high but i just sit there like a sitting duck. id love to put true duals on it not only becuase it will sound a hell of alot better, but because it is way cheaper to have just the duals on, than a new caty and duals........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know that, but i just dont want to have to pay an extra 250 for a new caty on top of the duals. i was hoping to get by with out it

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
You can get high flow cats from summit for ~60-70. If you don't get cats you need to get rear o2 simms to fake the signal to the post cat sensors to keep your SES light off and truck happy.

Cameron

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
True Duals :rocking:

I wanted to take my cats off too, but was worried about the same thing...what are these o2 simms and how much would they cost? Do they make them for the NBS trucks as well (I have an 03 5.3)?

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
Physh1 said:
You can get high flow cats from summit for ~60-70. If you don't get cats you need to get rear o2 simms to fake the signal to the post cat sensors to keep your SES light off and truck happy.

Cameron
all i have are 2 glasspacks and thats it...no o2 simms, my SES ligt is always on i need to get cats and o2 simms put on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stu meat.........does your ride still run good? if it does, i wouldn't worry too much about the ses light. then again im not extremely knowledgable in this area. but if it runs like a champ, screw the light!

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
You do know in texas you can be fined up to $10,000 for removing cats.... Just thought you should know that.

Im shocked the shop even offered to do it, they can be fined as well.

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Hmm...ok...so here is my next question. My muffler guy told me a while back, that he could take off the stock cats and replace them with just a piece of pipe (not a free flow cat). To get my rig to pass inspection I would still need to have a cat of some sort (even if I got an o2 simms), right?

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
You do know in texas you can be fined up to $10,000 for removing cats.... Just thought you should know that.

Im shocked the shop even offered to do it, they can be fined as well.
True...all my muffler guy really offered to do was make me a piece of pipe and rig it up to bolt in where the cat should be. So I would be taking off the cat (techincally). Covering his own ass I suppose...:anitoof:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Physh1 said:

Cameron
Actually, since his is a '95, he still has a TBI and doesn't need O2 simms, as he only has one O2 sensor in the first place. Whatever you do, don't take off your o2 sensor, your TBI computer relys on it to make your engine run correctly and get somewhat good mpg.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Whifflebat said:
Actually, since his is a '95, he still has a TBI and doesn't need O2 simms, as he only has one O2 sensor in the first place. Whatever you do, don't take off your o2 sensor, your TBI computer relys on it to make your engine run correctly and get somewhat good mpg.
:word:

Stu...if you threw a code, then you have other issues. Use the paperclip method, and see what codes you get.

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
jking320 said:
stu meat.........does your ride still run good? if it does, i wouldn't worry too much about the ses light. then again im not extremely knowledgable in this area. but if it runs like a champ, screw the light!
it runs like a champ sometimes, but then other times it sounds like a damn nascar ride jumping up and down in rpms big time, ive about had it with this truck.

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
91_bowtie said:
:word:

Stu...if you threw a code, then you have other issues. Use the paperclip method, and see what codes you get.
Ive checked the codes and i got 3 or 4, dont recall them off hand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts