Discussion Starter #1
I would like the opinions of people who have run one of or both of these tires
both off-road performance and on-road wear
these will be on my truck daily driver/ weekend warrior
thanks Derek

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am on my second set of SSR's. That should say alot. I am very pleased with them and I would go with them for a 3rd time.

They are 37x12.50r16's. You get a real 12.50" of width. The Truxus MT's are similar to BFG MT's and GoodYear MT's. They actually measure around 11" wide.

When the SSR's are new they ride like a Cadillac. No kidding. And they are suprisingly quiet. A friend owned a set of 35x12.50 BFG MT's and he commented both on how much wider the SSR's are (a whole lot) and how much quieter they are.

However, after ~17,000 miles they will get a tad louder and begin to ride a tad rough. If you examine the center "chevron" tread of the SSR you will see that it is actually built of 2 stages. There is a hard stage of tread which contains the center chevrons and outer TSL Lugs and a REALLY soft upper stage of the center chevrons only. This really soft upper stage is truely amazing on the road. I rotate every 3,000 miles and this gets me ~17,000 miles. I can now feel some road vibrations just because I am on the lower part of the Chevron. Once the upper is gone the tire will ride like a TSL Radial, but still not as loud. My first set of SSR's yielded 31,000 miles.

Great tire.

IMO, The SSR is for people who want an aggressive look, a smooth on-road ride (for a while), low noise and the ability of a true TSL off-road when needed.

Again, IMO, The Truxus MT is for people not wanting the aggressiveness of a TSL, more than 28,000-30,000 miles average life, a smooth ride for the life of the tire, "as expected" ability off-road and finally for people who who don't want a "Super Swamper" per say.

I have never owned a set of Truxus MT's, but I did speak to Interco and that was my impression of what they told me about the Truxus series of tires. Interco wants to capture all aspects of the off-road market.

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much, you may have just made my mind up
that is some great information

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
vhato said:
Again, IMO, The Truxus MT is for people not wanting the aggressiveness of a TSL, more than 28,000-30,000 miles average life, a smooth ride for the life of the tire, "as expected" ability off-road and finally for people who who don't want a "Super Swamper" per say.

I have never owned a set of Truxus MT's, but I did speak to Interco and that was my impression of what they told me about the Truxus series of tires. Interco wants to capture all aspects of the off-road market.
right on. i had a set of 285/75/16 (33 inch) trXus MTs. they're the most streetable swamper and were pretty good on wet and dry pavement for a MT. snow performance was respectable too. iirc, they were pretty damn quiet. great tires if you don't need something super-aggressive.

1,932 Posts
hovisimo said:
right on. i had a set of 285/75/16 (33 inch) trXus MTs. they're the most streetable swamper and were pretty good on wet and dry pavement for a MT. snow performance was respectable too. iirc, they were pretty damn quiet. great tires if you don't need something super-aggressive.
I have 4 of the same tires on my truck. Right now i live in laramie, wy and we go up in the hills to offroad,laramie [email protected] 7257ft, and the hills are higher.it snows alotup there during winter and those truxus mts have saved my assests severel times those tires seriously did there work in the snow (offroad and laramires unplowed winter streets) i am very happy with my tires. on dry payvmment they work great next to no noise and handle alright, i mean they are offroad mt tires... but my truck is a daily/weekend worrier. and the tires where a great choice for me. oh yeah in mud they also did very well, my nbs 99 z71 is pretty much stock and with those tires like i said it works out great

1,932 Posts
also my friend has a 1993 Dodge pickup with the same tires i have. he has 40,000 miles on them and they still have a little tread left. he offroads alot and DRIVES his truck, he said he thinkshe should get 10kmore before he HAS to change tires. but for such abuse they did wear great

1 - 6 of 6 Posts