GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that after heatwave, I'm going to body drop my 01 ext cab! I figure i will be better off doing it now, than waiting until after I get painted. Knowing my luck, I would scratch it all up! I can't decide of I want to cut an inch off the bottom of my rocker and lay rocker, or if I want to cut the rockers off and lay door. I'm welcome to all opinions on this. My question is, if I decided to lay door, what options do I have for moving my brake booster ( setting the truck up for 22's)? I know that i will have to move the brake booster if I decide to lay door, but how much can I body drop it on 22's and not have to move the brake booster? How much can I bd it on 20's and not move brake booster?

Here is a pic of a NBS laying rocker (they removed an 1" off the rocker) on 20's!

Here is a pic of the same truck on 22's ( Not my choice of wheels, but it gives you an idea of what it would look like!)

This one is to the door on 20's!

This is the same truck as above, but modified to lay door on 22's!

Thanks for any info or opinions!
Trey

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
3" will get to the rocker. I wouldn't go to the door because IMO the truck looks out of proportion than. As far as the brake booster you can use one from an S10, that's how EKMW did the blue Avy. to give room. I don't rember everything else done like if they moved the mounting location.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Is there anywhere online that i can see pics of the "blue avy"? How much was it bd? Do you think it will be at heat wave this year? If so, then I could also look at it in person. I'm going to wait until after heat wave before I start the body drop. I'm just trying to gather all of my info! Also, how much is your truck bd, grounded?

Thanks
Trey

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hey here's a tip: Do a hydroboost brake setup. Better braking power for 22's and they're actually no wider than the booster. I Just finished a tech for ST on it -- www.hydroboost.com

And dude, why even cut into the rockers? I mean I did 2.5" on my truck on 22's. It was a big enough bitch to do the firewall, and to work with the fenders, and ditch the hood springs, and all that. The extra .5" to get into the rockers is retarded. Why? It ain't gonna do shit for you. No one's going to think you're lower than my truck for example.

Doors are another thing, but still, it ain't easy. Danny did a lot of shit on his blue ex-cab to get it where it is. Do you have the time or money to do it?

Honestly if I had to do it again, I'd do the same thing I did. I channelled it 2.5" on 22's. No more, no less.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
bagged01extcab said:
Thanks for the reply! Is there anywhere online that i can see pics of the "blue avy"? How much was it bd? Do you think it will be at heat wave this year? If so, then I could also look at it in person. I'm going to wait until after heat wave before I start the body drop. I'm just trying to gather all of my info! Also, how much is your truck bd, grounded?

Thanks
Trey
Mines 2.25 with custom body mounts, it was an exparement trying to use the mounts to keep the bodydrop small. I don't know if the Avy will be at heatwave or not.
DSC02567.jpg

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Whenever I see a truck laying door I instantly think "hacked". Plus, like grounded said, it looks out of proportion.

If it was my truck, I'd just take it to the rocker. :ninja:

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
I agree with grounded and the other guys, I'd just do it to the rocker.
You planning on doing a stock floor?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
LowBlue02 said:
Whenever I see a truck laying door I instantly think "hacked". Plus, like grounded said, it looks out of proportion.

If it was my truck, I'd just take it to the rocker. :ninja:
:word: i would do a stockfloor and make a whole new frame. and it sit will sit low and tuck alot of the 22's

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I plan on stock flooring it. I have another truck to drive, so down time isn't a problem. As far as money, I'll be doing my own work. I have never bd a truck before, but I am an industrial pipefitter/fabricator for almost 10 years before I got my current job. I just don't want to bd it and decide latter down the road that I want it lower! It's alot of work to decide to redo it latter. As far as the whole new frame goes, I would like to keep my KP Components rear canti, so I dought that I build a whole new frame, althought it would look alot better! Looks like I'll be bd'ing it somewhere between 2.5-4". I have 1/2" stainless flatbar attached to the bottom of both frame rails that I may or may not remove!

Thanks
Trey

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I plan on attemption a stock floor to lay rocker on 22's this fall. I'm all hype about it now after Slammin' n Jammin' I'm gonna go crazy on my truck.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
do it to the rocker....I think its the lowest that you can go without making the truck look like its only purpose is to look low. If you want it to be lower do it right and section it or chop the top. I did the stock floor on mine myself...it wasnt too hard. I only replaced the frame under the cab so I could keep my rear frame and suspension.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
I would do 2.5"-2.75", but that's just me. I sympathize with you on regretting not to go lower later, after all you are building a whole new frame. We all know that the going lower craving never stops, but you have to set your limits somewhere, JMO.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Does anyone else feel like their truck still sits up "way2hi" when aired out? I sure as hell do. I guess I'm just living up to my name :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
i heard that a body drop lowers the value ALOT! is it worth the money? or is that something a owner must decide?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
All big mods technicly lower the resale. They also makeit harder to sell because customs only apeal to a small percent of the buying public. Don't build a custom if your concernd with resale, you'll never get what you put into it unless you find that one person that has to have that truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts