GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if my O2 sensors are shot? my mileage has gone to about 10-12 mpg and my truck is rich, rich, rich... I know having no cats, I'll be able to smell more exhaust but if I stand behind my truck while its running it fumes you out... the truck has about 100K on it now and has quite a few bottles of nitrous through it at this point...

-my problem is I dont have tuning software so I cant get voltage readings or anything. my SES light has been on forever now and here letely it has started flashing... can someone point me in the right direction??

-EDIT: these are my fronts. My rears have been turned off in my tune and removed with my ORY.

I know this has got to be an issue with my W4M POS tune... I asked him to take fuel out of it but obviously he either didnt/couldnt...

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
ben, me saying this is like beating a dead horse but definitely find someone else to do your tune! i imagine that is a significant factor in the way your truck is running. You know as well as the rest of us that your mods are out of his league!:worship:

On the other hand, why not run to the local parts store and get them to read the SES codes? Based on those, it can possibly give you more insight as what to do next.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats kind of whats messing me up... I had it scanned and it says both banks are lean... :hmm:

-I know Jesse cant do my tuning... last time we were on the phone we got into a pretty good arguement LOL... anyway.. I'm just biding my time until I can get back to Tx and get Wheatley to tune me...

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Watch the O2 signals to make sure they are oscillating, going up and down fairly quickly. If they do not, then the sensors are shot!!!

Need to get someone to scan your truck really!

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah... I need to just bite the bullet and order some tuning software. the problem is, my laptop is still screwed up... plus, now I cant find the charger!!! dammit

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not really... I wish I could find someon around here that has rights to a 2000 VIN... I'm still torn on which software to get though honestly. I want the most user friendly out there... I dont need to get super deep into the PCM... just be able to touch all the basic stuff and be able to make changes when I need to...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
New O2s are cheap, if you got over about 50-60k.. swap them.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New O2s are cheap, if you got over about 50-60k.. swap them.
all of them I've seen are about $100 a piece... .where are you finding them for "cheap" :lol:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
all of them I've seen are about $100 a piece... .where are you finding them for "cheap" :lol:

$100/ea? lol Just solder in some Denso universals then. :imo

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would 'vette front O2's benefit me any? arent they set to read a little differently? I just want stock replacements... unscrew the old ones, screw the new ones in and plug them up and go.. I dont want to a bunch of splicing, cutting, etc etc...

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
would 'vette front O2's benefit me any? arent they set to read a little differently? I just want stock replacements... unscrew the old ones, screw the new ones in and plug them up and go.. I dont want to a bunch of splicing, cutting, etc etc...
to save 120$, ill cut and splice 8 wires in total...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

I did on that LS400... saved me $$$$$$$$

Just get some beers and a soldering iron.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
not really... I wish I could find someon around here that has rights to a 2000 VIN... I'm still torn on which software to get though honestly. I want the most user friendly out there... I dont need to get super deep into the PCM... just be able to touch all the basic stuff and be able to make changes when I need to...
If you know somebody with HP Tuners they can scan your truck even if they don't have a license for it; they just can't tune it. It might not help you much but you could get an idea of what's going on.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
do not cut and splice O2s. The incresed resistance in the wire from the splice can scew the readings. This was a problem with the homemade O2 extensions.

Have your SES light checked. A flashing SES light is a misfire detected. Only a scanner will tell you which cylinder is misfiring. It could also be a dead cylinder since you have sprayed it.

Vette O2s are no different. Its just a stock sensor. Just buy new ones for your truck.

Mail order tunes are just ballparks. Find someone in your area and get a real tune.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its a '00

·
Registered
73 Posts
Could be a lot of reasons/sensors causing your problems, some can cause the vehicle not to go into closed loop. Check for a dirty MAF, unplugged Temp sensor, and do not splice O2 sensors, not worth the head act that faulty splices/solder joints can cause.

Get the codes and let us know.

Tom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts