GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi its been a while. The suburban project finally is getting picked up. I have the motor out now. Debating on cams and such. Issue is i need suggestions for tuning for a larger cam. Any programs you guys suggest? or Places ? Im in NE PA

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Black bear mail order tuning....

·
Formerly TrucknGolf
2,182 Posts
HP tuners

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
They are well known and do great work. In addition to have tuned far more complex things than you plan on having them tune

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i havent had my truck tuned with them but i have talked to them a bit and i know that there a great company and they go above and beyond to respectfully represent and back the product they sell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the money hp tuners would have been a better option then ask for help to get where u need to be as people on the hp site are good about helping tune. I did my own 2013 caddy ats turbo and my 2007 Tahoe besides around 12 trucks at work and around town for guys. I am getting around 20 mpg on my Tahoe and runs high 13s low 14s depending on weather all stock engine with my tune and boltons. A lot to be found that guys can't find on mail order no matter how many times they try on a paticular combo. Nothing like real time tuning and seeing instant changes to make it perfect.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
For the money hp tuners would have been a better option then ask for help to get where u need to be as people on the hp site are good about helping tune. I did my own 2013 caddy ats turbo and my 2007 Tahoe besides around 12 trucks at work and around town for guys. I am getting around 20 mpg on my Tahoe and runs high 13s low 14s depending on weather all stock engine with my tune and boltons. A lot to be found that guys can't find on mail order no matter how many times they try on a paticular combo. Nothing like real time tuning and seeing instant changes to make it perfect.
Yes and no. Buying HPTuners requires patience and ability to understand what it is youre doing to the engine/trans/ect when you "tune". Its not for everyone.

·
pootin' soot
3,510 Posts
Can't go wrong with BlackBear. Justin does great work and a pleasure to deal with. No complaints from my truck that they tuned.

I also would recommend a local reputable tuner if you're planning on making severe engine/drivetrain mods.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went with Blackbear being i have no experience tuning the PCM myself. This is just to hold me off till after the motor is broken in and i found someone local to do a dyno tune

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Black bear tunes my truck so I am sure they will be able to handle what you have planned

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes and no. Buying HPTuners requires patience and ability to understand what it is youre doing to the engine/trans/ect when you "tune". Its not for everyone.
When u have someone like me that has spent hours upon hours dialing it in and willing to just hand over a tune then explain anything they ask I would say that is way better then any box tune or mail order that will only tollerate so much for questions or updates before charging more money when someone like me is free. Plus get good then like me I went from my own to around 30 or more vehicles local to me and actually paid for projects as I do charge people around town to tune vehicles.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
When u have someone like me that has spent hours upon hours dialing it in and willing to just hand over a tune then explain anything they ask I would say that is way better then any box tune or mail order that will only tollerate so much for questions or updates before charging more money when someone like me is free. Plus get good then like me I went from my own to around 30 or more vehicles local to me and actually paid for projects as I do charge people around town to tune vehicles.
This is true. If you can find a local tuner go with that, next would be data log tune (Autocal or Diablo), and lastly mail order.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
Not everyone is like you - or I. That's my point.

Some guys will just buy HPtuners, plug it in, and start changing things without actually researching what theyre doing.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
Not everyone is like you - or I. That's my point.

Some guys will just buy HPtuners, plug it in, and start changing things without actually researching what theyre doing.
In addition to not wanting to do it themselves.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i hope you guys are right.. i sent them money a week ago they emailed saying they received it and haven't heard from them since

1 - 20 of 30 Posts