GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody ever put a turbo on a gmc 5.3? i need all the help i can get because the winter has started. i currently have a to4r 64mm turbo but i am open to anything

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
The consensus for putting a turbo on typically ended up as its more trouble than its worth, your best off spending the money on a supercharger. Im definatly not saying it isnt possible though. I would be intrested in seeing what you find out.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as of right now the only way i am putting a supercharger on my truck is if i totally f*#k up the turbo kit. i know i can do everything except for the headers, which are going to be custom made for me. so when i do screw it up i will put a supercharger on and i will have spent double the money and learned the hard way just like i usually do. lol

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
fullthrottledan said:
i will have spent double the money and learned the hard way just like i usually do. lol
Sounds like something I would do...

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another thing i just did today is... bought a tb spacer and put it on and it wont work with the stock intake....yay more money i hadnt planned on spending

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a poweraid tb spacer. with the spacer on there it sticks out too far and it hits the fan shroud and fan. i mean its not even close. without cutting up the stock intake, it wont even fit in there. i have half of the intake cut off right now to try to mold a flat peice of plastic over the hole but so far, not good. just a temperary fix till ii get my fipk, which i will still have to modify, i was told.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think i got something....
go to my link on cardomain and check it out. a turbo on a 6.0L

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
if you want a sick turbo, a place in vegas called combination motorsports just made an awesome kit that will run you 3900 bucks.... for more info email this guy... they are way cool

[email protected]

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
i dont really see the big deal about the turbo being too hard.

Once you get the manifolds made, its just a matter of plumbing the piping. You could use an inline fuel pump to boost pressure with some check valves on your vacum(so the ECU doesnt see the boost)so you dont lean out, or get a stand alone.

plus turbos are way kool, i say do it!:waytogo:

im not really sure what your question was but heres a list of what you need off the top of my head.

turbo
manifolds
Intercooler(optional)
BOV
braided steel line for oil in and oil return
15' of hose for vaccum and a bunch of T fittings

thats really about it, you just have to find a way to get more fuel in there since your gonna have a lot more air:read:

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can t use a BOV because once air comes through the mass air, it has to stay in. so i need a bypass valve. all i got to say is the project HAS STARTED. and i am trying to do it 100% myself.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
E-fans are a nice mod..and then you would have had no prob with the spacer.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
true, i can put a bov before the mas but i heard it was safer just to keep all the air in the system for drivability purposes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts