GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't you tow with a turbo on a gas powered truck? I've heard a lot of people say you can only tow very small loads or no load at all. Why is this? EGTs? Underhood Temps? ???

·
Registered
861 Posts
I tow my boat with my big truck all the time. My EGT's get hot, but I just keep my foot out of it if they start climbing. Been towing for 3 years with a ATI ProCharger-no problems at all.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Why can't you tow with a turbo on a gas powered truck? I've heard a lot of people say you can only tow very small loads or no load at all. Why is this? EGTs? Underhood Temps? ???

Who said that? :hmm:

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
God Damn It!!! I swear I read it somewhere! :pissed: It didn't make sence to me so I asked!!! LOL!!! I'll try to find the link tomorrow.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Been towing for 3 years with a ATI ProCharger-no problems at all.
just so we're clear...

we're talking about turbos, and you dont have one.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
I towed a trailer to the track lastnight with tools, and my neighbors mustang. He ran 9s and i ran 11s. Then i hooked back up and drove home. Without the turbo, it would have been horrible to tow, but it ran good. EGTs stayed low for the most part, no knock and no overheating.

Dan

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Didn't Parish tow with his truck? I saw that video of him racing with a bunch of other cars where they went from track to track racing in a few states.

·
Registered
264 Posts
When people say that turbos are not the best applications for towing, they are referring to big turbos that start to spool at a high rpm. You would not be utilizing your high rpm power. Turbos work for towing just fine, but the problems arise when you do not have power until 3500rpm.

A good example would be towing with your Z (hey it happens). With the JWT sport500s, you have great low end power, but peak will be around 420rwhp. Say you bought some Greddy TD06 20G turbos, the lag would kill you. BTW, check out twinturbo.net. I have the same username over there. I plan on buying another Z when I can. I plan on buying a NA chassis for my next project to swap in an LS1.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When people say that turbos are not the best applications for towing, they are referring to big turbos that start to spool at a high rpm. You would not be utilizing your high rpm power. Turbos work for towing just fine, but the problems arise when you do not have power until 3500rpm.

A good example would be towing with your Z (hey it happens). With the JWT sport500s, you have great low end power, but peak will be around 420rwhp. Say you bought some Greddy TD06 20G turbos, the lag would kill you. BTW, check out twinturbo.net. I have the same username over there. I plan on buying another Z when I can. I plan on buying a NA chassis for my next project to swap in an LS1.
I see, you want a fast spool turbo if you will be towing. Makes sense. If you have any questions about your LS1 swap let me know. My NA is in the process of getting a dry-sumped, twin turbo Gen III !

·
Registered
264 Posts
I see, you want a fast spool turbo if you will be towing. Makes sense. If you have any questions about your LS1 swap let me know. My NA is in the process of getting a dry-sumped, twin turbo Gen III !
Wow that is going to be insane. Mine will not be for a couple years, but I really miss my 300zx. I have also become in love with the LS series motors, so I figured I would swap it in. If you are planning on making smog legal remember you cannot pass with the truck motors as the CA BAR says "Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy-duty engine cannot be installed in a light-duty exhaust-controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement."

But if you can bypass it, then more power to you. I just may do that too. You can find an LQ4 much cheaper than an LS1.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Oh, so sorry to throw in my opinion with my setup about towing. Pull your pannys out of your a-s and get over it.

:rofl2:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Oh, so sorry to throw in my opinion with my setup about towing. Pull your pannys out of your a-s and get over it.

i'm not wearing any panties. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts