GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 3 days my turn signals have been acting up. Everything works fine on the right side but the left side doesnt hardly work. It may flash once then do nothing. The arrow on the dash with either flash once then stop or flash dimly. The actual turn signals on the left wont flash at all when it does this. It has done this on and off for 3 days. Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it does like I described.

Also the other night when I was on my way home, I looked in my rearview and noticed that I had running lights but no brake lights when I stepped on the brake. Got home and had a burnt fuse....replaced it and has been fine since. Related? :think:

Anyways I tried searching and couldnt find a problem just like mine. Since I have the afternoon free today im gonna try to check all the fuses and relays. How do you check a relay? :think:

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
How often do you change your blinker fluid? I would say change it and go from there :crazy:

I would just check all the wiring fuses ect. What does the actual taillight do when the blinker in the dash screws up?

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How often do you change your blinker fluid? I would say change it and go from there :crazy:

I would just check all the wiring fuses ect. What does the actual taillight do when the blinker in the dash screws up?
I change it every 3000 miles. The tailight and the signal up front both jsut dont flash when it doesnt flash on the dash.

Im hoping its not that but if it is, I bet its a bitch to replace that...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Possibly a bad ground wire too.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention, when I put on the signal that works fine (right) there is a slight drop in charging amps on the guage everytime it cycles. When I put on the signal that doesnt work (left) the guage drops to about 10 amps from 13 where it normally is. Also when the left signal doesnt work right, the hazards do the same thing (make the charging amps drop and neither light on the dash flashes). Im beginning to think there is a bad ground...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Sorry man I don't know much about the electrical systems in the older trucks, just thought your description sounded like a bad ground. I had some funky shit going in in my truck awhile back, when I would hit the brakes really hard the turn signal indicators would kind of come on, ABS wouldn't work. When I would hit a bump the same thing would happen, ended up being a broken ground wire somewhere in the front harness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is 10 years old, but my 1996 gmc is doing the exact same thing. Anybody know the fix?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I know this is 10 years old, but my 1996 gmc is doing the exact same thing. Anybody know the fix?
Start a new thread and you’ll get much better results.

Try they hazards lights though. Great way too rule if it’s in the column or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts