GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DisgruntleD
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Spintech 3" single catback system on my truck, the original tip that came with it looked like crap so I replaced it with a stainless meg's tip, it looks much better, however, the original tip covered more of the tailpipe, which is now rusted. So I have a 3 inch section of bright oranged rust when you look at the ass of my truck. :pissed:

I want to put a turndown on it and dump it, but should I do it in front of the axle, or after? I think if I do it in front of the axle I may have to move the muffler forward some, because its really close to the axle. If I do it after the axle it may look rather funny because its fairly visible back there. The other option is cutting out the rusted section and just moving the tip in a couple inches.

If I dump it out in front of the axle, is it going to be louder? I don't want more interior resonance if I can help it. :nono:

Pictures may help, so I will see if I can get some later today.

So where is the best place to dump the exhaust?

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
You'll have more interior resonance if you dump it before the axle. Just cut it off between the bend that goes over the axle and before the bend that exits the pipe out the side. Should be very little resonance that way.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I don't know about spintech, but I have very little resonance with my borla dumped right before the axle. I actually wish it was a little louder.

·
DisgruntleD
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think my tip looks bad at all, it's just a bitch to keep clean so that may be a good excuse to dump it. A local exhaust shop told me for 25 bucks they'd weld a turndown on, so I may just take it to them. Since I live in an apartment, and the high was 12 today, that sounds like the better option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts