·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
I only see one:think: :crazy:

Seriously though, that will work fine for you. I highly doubt you would ever brake it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
two strap aka tow strap sorry.

so you think it will be fine. i just wanted to get an idea of what guys are running on here.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
i, along with many others, have broken 40K and bigger straps. It should work the first couple times...but after it gets some age and wear and tear to it, expect it to break at some point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so should i just get a big one to begin with? or better yet, what is a good weight rating i should look for? you say you have broken 40k ones but lookin at your sig, you seem like your pretty serious and probably go alot. i only go a mess around every now and again and for use in the winter.

·
5,501 Posts
well, it took 3 years for me to break mine...and i had it sunk below the axles on 40s...your truck will be heavier than mine is currently, and im not sure what size tires you are on and plan to move up to, but a 2500 on 35s thats STUCK will kill 30K straps...

30K straps are easy to work work, 40Ks are slightly harder (like tossing in the 2" reciever slot), but once its hooked up, its badass. Honestly, id do the 40K. Next time around im gettin a 30K and a 60K.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Like stated above it will work but sooner or later it will break from wear, etc. That's the reason I carry 3 straps in my toolbox. Plus I needed more than 1 last year at one point trying to pull a Toyota out of the river.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yeah i have a 4 tow straps in the truck. a 40k a 30k and (2) 20k. Use the smallest strap for the stuck. The smaller ones are easy to use and move around for the little stucks and stuff. But when needed you always got to have a big one.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
i'm surprised this hasn't been said yet

get tug boat rope
If you have the money and room to store the thing, sure get it. But if you are just doing some light offroading and arn't planning on sinking your truck to the doors, the first strap you showed should work fine for you. I guess it depends on how hardcore you are going to be, how much room you have, and how much money you want to throw at it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks i think ill look aroudn for a 30-40k one. dont plan to do anything crazy, just a "just in case" kind of thing. and also pullin cars out in the winter. thought about the tug boat ropes, until i actually held one in my had. i think it was just about the size of my leg lol. dont think i need anything that big.

my setup as will be 6 inch lifted on 35s. maybe some 36s or 37s next year. usually dont go to places where it will be sunk, just power line trails and logging roads.

·
5,501 Posts
If you have the money and room to store the thing, sure get it. But if you are just doing some light offroading and arn't planning on sinking your truck to the doors, the first strap you showed should work fine for you. I guess it depends on how hardcore you are going to be, how much room you have, and how much money you want to throw at it.
no one plans on SINKING their shit...it just happens.

40K is overkill in some instances...not all tho.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
gotta love the rope

it realy doesnt take up that much room in my tool box

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
Sounds like you'd be good with a 30k, and be perfect with a 40k.

I have a 20k and a 30k in my bag-o-goodies - but those were from 1/2-ton days. I'm thinking about a 40k for the new rig. But I honestly don't play enough that I expect to need it. Of course, pulling out others could be the killer.

-bZj

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Tug boat rope IMO 1.5" diameter minimum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts