GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i think the motors are different between the s10 and a fullsize... but i could be wrong. In street trucks they had a feature truck that had swapped the turbo manifold and intake off a syclone onto a newer s10, but i have no idea if they'll work on a fullsize. I'm sure demon will chime in.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I can't remember what year the sy/tys were, but I doubt you can.

EDIT: With alot of custom work though and such, you can do anything :read:

EDIT 2: The 4.3 the is also probably one of the last motors I'd put forced induction on too...

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
the sy/tys were in '91-93 i think. i had a 2001 S-10 Xtreme before i got my fullsize. they both have the 4.3 V6. i think internaly the fullsize truck one and the S-10 one are the same. the one it the trucks is rated at 200hp, the one from my X was reated at 190hp. it think i heard once that the cam was different in the fullsize to produce the extra 10hp.

as for the sy/tys turbo and manifold, i dont think they will swap on to a newer 4.3. the older 4.3 are different from the '96-present ones. for a turbo on a newer 4.3 your best bet, if you've got the cash, is to get the Machperformance turbo set-up. the new STS rear mounted turbo might work for a V6. some of the S/C kits for the newer S-10 will fit the fullsize with some modifiactions.

somebody located in the detroit area with a V6 fullsize needs to get a hold of Macperformance.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Homer J said:
the sy/tys were in '91-93 i think.

as for the sy/tys turbo and manifold, i dont think they will swap on to a newer 4.3. the older 4.3 are different from the '96-present ones.

:word: Thats what I was thinking. The heads and intake manifold are different.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Whifflebat said:
:word: Thats what I was thinking. The heads and intake manifold are different.
Likely the entire motor is different.

The 3.8 Buick Grand National engines and the 3.8 camaro/firebird engines share pretty much nothing in common. The GN is built for boost, as is the Sy/Ty turbo motor. I would think a "common" 4.3 would blow up quickly under boost unless it was rebuilt before hand to take it.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
If the Heads are the same it will bolt right on, if there not, it wont. Like these guys were saying i htink hte change was in 96....

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
i dont think a 4.3 will blow up when you add boost. well not alot of boost. the S-10 guys are running some S/C and Turbo set=ups on stock internals. probably no more than 8-10 lbs of boost though.

the heads and intake are different on the '96 and up 4.3 V6. the 4.3 from the st/tys had lower compression pistons and a few other different interanal. but those could all be added to a newer 4.3 to accomodate high boost pressure. i think i read some where that the st/tys and the GN ran like 14 lbs of boost.

it think the 4.3 has stayed about the same between the S-10's and the Fullsize trucks and even the Astro vans. they all differ in little ways like on the fullsize version the intake tube goes to the passenger side of the engine compartment, and it has a silencer thingy at the back of it where it mounts to the TB. the S-10 intake tube goes to the passenger side, and has a smooth peice that mounts to the TB. some of the accessories might be mounted different too.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I think that for the cost of swapping the heads and intake manifold from an old sy ty on top of the turbo itself, plus the cost of getting it all to work together, and not blow up, you could swap in a bigger motor and make more power :read:

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
i thought the only difference in the pre 96 4.3 and the later one was the intake due to the way the fuel injectors were made......i have a 94 s-10 and a 99 blazer and theat is the only major difference i have noticed....oh and the fullsize 4/3 is the same motor only difference is air filter and the headers i think are different due to mounting in different vehicals.....the 10 hp thing is ony a rating differnence for the truck class for insurance and emmisions purposes....id imageing the typhoon had different pistons for lower compression....oh and anything can be turboed...just a mattter of rrunning the tubing tuning and proper fuel supply....just may not be a simple bolt on though

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
in 96 they changed the head and intake design. the tb on the 96 & up 4.3 just flows air, and the fuel is added by the poppet injectors farther down in the intake manifold.

the turbo kit that Machperformance designed for the S-10 is a very nice setup, expensive but nice. if your really wanting to know about how to add a turbo to a 4.3 in a fullsize, i think your best bet is taking something that was designed for a S-10 and modifying it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Black_Chrome...... " they are the same motors, the exhaust manifond is different, it would work"

First of all, sorry to single you out when a few people in the thread made similar comments.... but this is rediculous. If you don't know wtf you're talking about, DON"T GIVE ADVICE! Can one of you guys tell me what changed in the 4.3 from 95 to 96? :think:

·
Chevy Owner
1,363 Posts
91_bowtie said:
Black_Chrome...... " they are the same motors, the exhaust manifond is different, it would work"

First of all, sorry to single you out when a few people in the thread made similar comments.... but this is rediculous. If you don't know wtf you're talking about, DON"T GIVE ADVICE! Can one of you guys tell me what changed in the 4.3 from 95 to 96? :think:
I do know that from 95 to 96, they changed the design of the fuel injection from the shitty CPI (Central Port Injection) to the newer Vortec MPFI (Multiport Fuel Injection). Other than that, not 100% sure if the heads were changed or not. I know the 91-95 "Vortec" 4.3's had higher compresion Vortec heads over the older TBI style. I THINK they didn't change the heads but that I don't know...and actually, If you are to do the swap, I would think you would want a lower compresion ratio...that way you could accomidate more Boost. Anybody else know what I'm talkin about? Like Y2KSierra said, on the factory Turbo Charged motors GM had produced, they were totally different than the regular engines. They were designed for the forced induction...don't know how good of an Idea it would be to put just the turbo converison on :imo

But yeah, I know that the fuel injection system was totally redesigned for the newer engines because the CPI was a very bad design :nono:....had tons of problems.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Z71Edge said:
But yeah, I know that the fuel injection system was totally redesigned for the newer engines because the CPI was a very bad design :nono:....had tons of problems.

That's not fair. I wanted to hear their replies. :anitoof:

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
why dont you try your question on a sy/ty board? or even an S-Series board?

i think all that changed from '95 to a '96 motor is the intake and head design. they went to the TB that just flows air with the six poppet fuel injectors near each cylinder. internally, i think they are the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts