GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a stupid post and I'm showing my ignorance here, but here it goes.

I went with the greasable U joints this time, but my grease gun end won't fit through the yokes to enable me to get it attached to the zert to do the greasing.

Is there a special grease gun attachment that is a smaller diameter such that it would fit between the yokes so I could get it attached to the zert nipple?

Otherwise, looks like I would have to remove the driveshaft to grease it, which seems unreasonable.

Thanking You In Advance,
Glenn

·
meow
15,748 Posts
Our tractors have greasable u-joints on the pto shafts, I usually use a solid end gun as it is much easier to get a firm connection with the zerk than with a 'hose' type grease gun. Maybe try one of those... or am i not reading correctly? I know the local hardware store does have different size endings for grease guns, might want to just go snoop around a bit

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
i have the same problem, i took the shaft out, if you find an attachment that fits though, please let me know

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would imagine someone makes a slimmer profile one, but I haven't seen one yet. Have you tried rotating the shaft to maybe enlarge the opening between the yokes?
I have tried rotating the shaft to increase the gap between the yokes, but to no avail ..... still too small.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up a similar attachment at the local TSC store and it worked very well. Took me a few trys on an exposed zert to get the hang of it, then simply greased all four of those hard to get driveline zerts. I was even able to grease zerts pointed upwards just by feel, therefore not requiring any driveshaft rotation.

I would recommend this attachement to anyone with greasable U joints.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts