GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah...had a little stoplight "competition" with one of the new 4dr HEMI's and geez...I got lightly smoked. :bawl: I mean I wasn't expecting much, although my 98 2dr Tahoe is quick, it's bone stock besides my 33in BFG's....I just figured I might of had a slight advantage weight wise....
Anyone know off the top of their head what kinda power the HEMI is putting out?? What it run's in the 1/4? Just to get a general idea....

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
My buddy was tellin me about a hemi ram he drove yesterday. He drives every kind of car and truck it seems like, and he gets to have a lil fun wiht them. He was impressed wiht the hemi, which surprised me. i think some can run like low low 15s, a few hit high 14s stock i believe, and i would think the 4dr would be a few .1s slower...so maybe 15.4 or so for those...

·
5,501 Posts
Whifflebat said:
The 33's on your tahoe didn't help either.
:word: bigger tires hurt gear ratios and it takes more to turn heavy tires...and it being an "SUV" doesn't help anythign either...i know the difference from 31s to 33s on my truck was insane...i don't even wanna run anything now...i used to always run lil 4 bangers and beat them all day long...lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
i think stock they make 345 horse 375 torque someone correct me if im wrong

theres a guy i work with thats got a 3/4 ton and hes old and wont even run me trough first gear in my truck i keep telling himn hes scared to try to get him fored up but he wont jump EVER
oh well just thought id share that
later

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
of course you lost with 33 inch tires and im assuming stock gears.....

my buddy has a HEMI and i think i can either hang with him or beat him with my Z71. his truck aint THAT fast. and once i pop my nelson tune in that is sitting in my bedroom, he is toast :head:

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For sure, the wheels are definatly working against me. It's a shame....But once I get some mods in there, that will change for sure! My goal is to get 350hp out of my 350....so we'll see if that happens ;)

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
no amount of power mods will make up for the gear situation. i mean, yeah a 1000hp big block wouldnt care but you get the idea......

3.73s are ideal for racing a 30 inch or smaller tire IMO

·
Registered
724 Posts
RedneckDude said:
My buddy was tellin me about a hemi ram he drove yesterday. He drives every kind of car and truck it seems like, and he gets to have a lil fun wiht them. He was impressed wiht the hemi, which surprised me. i think some can run like low low 15s, a few hit high 14s stock i believe, and i would think the 4dr would be a few .1s slower...so maybe 15.4 or so for those...
Your Crazy..........14's......more like 18's.

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff said:
no amount of power mods will make up for the gear situation. i mean, yeah a 1000hp big block wouldnt care but you get the idea......

3.73s are ideal for racing a 30 inch or smaller tire IMO
Good to know, since I basically know JACK about gearing....just something I have not yet looked into. Not that I'm gonna be racing the truck on a regular basis or anything, it's by no means for that. At least that can still give me a slight advantage though. But I plan on eventually switching my wheels to 20's or most likely 22's. I know they will still slow me down due to the weight of the rim, but at least they'll be smaller than the wheels I have on right now.

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah...How would I go about getting new gears? Just find a shop?? Or buy a certain brand? Like I said...I'm clueless when it comes to gears :crazy:

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
you need to identify what gears you have first,

check the sticker in the glove box. if it has GT4 listed in it then you have 3.73s. if not then 90% chance you have 3.42s

·
5,501 Posts
dreamrr said:
Your Crazy..........14's......more like 18's.
Dude...apprently u have NO idea what ur talkin about...hemis are about as fast, if not just a tad faster, than 5.3 silvys...silvys can run low 15s stock (reg cab, short bed) and there is always gonna be a few motors from the factory that are insane and will run a few 1/10s quicker than the rest...no reason for them to, they just do...and i honestly don't know if my truck would even run that slow...18s is just SLOOOOOOOOOW...

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I wouldnt think that a HEMI is gonna be running 18's.....since I know I don't run 20's!! I mean c'mon that's just crazy.....Still though, I'm sure a HEMI would beat a stock Silvy....but who knows...like you said, there are always the Factory Freaks

·
Registered
724 Posts
RedneckDude said:
Dude...apprently u have NO idea what ur talkin about...hemis are about as fast, if not just a tad faster, than 5.3 silvys...silvys can run low 15s stock (reg cab, short bed) and there is always gonna be a few motors from the factory that are insane and will run a few 1/10s quicker than the rest...no reason for them to, they just do...and i honestly don't know if my truck would even run that slow...18s is just SLOOOOOOOOOW...
I had a 89' Mustang 5.0 tricked out and I ran low 15's. 15's and 16's are really fast. If you have raced or seen local drag racing times you would no that. but who knows I've never seen a dodge hemi truck run the track. and I'm assuming your talking about one of those big crew cab 4x4 dodge rams?

·
Banned
487 Posts
hemi's are neat..but highly over rated. I raced a kid in a ex cab shortbox 4x4 hemi.. still had dealer plates on it. Raced him with my older brothers 1999 k1500 with 5.3, ex cab shortbox- stock except for K&N filter and free mods.. literally just raped the hell out of him. Sure he has a k&N filter, but the way this kid talked... thats not how it should ahve turned out.

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dreamrr said:
I had a 89' Mustang 5.0 tricked out and I ran low 15's. 15's and 16's are really fast. If you have raced or seen local drag racing times you would no that. but who knows I've never seen a dodge hemi truck run the track. and I'm assuming your talking about one of those big crew cab 4x4 dodge rams?
Yeah it was one of the quad cab 4x4 HEMI's....
I just have to shake my head a bit... :bawl: But I'm sure I would have faired a little better if I had known he was gonna gun it off the line....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts