GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I know there are a million threads about what each type of lift costs. My question is about the costs associated with the lift, ie. changing speedometer, performance tunes, and other little things that add up?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what other expenses may come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
Bjs, tres, cvs, hubs, ujoints, wheels, tires, gears, tune, xtra gas, more hoes. All these usually associated with a lift depending of course

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Kind of depends on what options you want as well. Some arent a must but highly suggested like gears and a tune.

but lifts big tires do tend to wear out front end parts a little quicker, so factor that in.... I would go ahead and replace all front end parts if you are putting a lift on a truck that has a few miles on it already.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. My plan is to do the McGaughys lift and 35's on 20x10's.

As far as tuners go, I always hear black bear is best, but is it truly worth it over a Diablosport or something similar?

Gears will be done in the future, probably along with 37's once these wear out.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Ok. My plan is to do the McGaughys lift and 35's on 20x10's.

As far as tuners go, I always hear black bear is best, but is it truly worth it over a Diablosport or something similar?

Gears will be done in the future, probably along with 37's once these wear out.

yes BB tunes are worth it over a canned tune like the diablo. The BB will offer better mileage (depending), more HP per dollar, and much more customiezeable to your uses for the truck, and you can retune when you get gears.

gears and most likely you need install kits to go with will pretty much be a must if/when you get 37's better to do them sooner and save some wear and tear on the transmission.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is transmission wear a big concern with 35's? From what I had been reading it seemed like 35's were the max to be safe for the tranny without gears and 37's were pretty much the beginning of really needing them.

·
Married and broke
1,854 Posts
The main thing is to properly regear the axles for the tire size intended. Using a diablo tuner is fine with a downloaded map. Get it dyno tuned eventually though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. I was looking at gears last night and ran into something confusing. I read somewhere that the '10+ silverado's with the 6 speed require a new carrier up front when gears are changed. My plan was to go with 4.56's. Is this true?

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Is transmission wear a big concern with 35's? From what I had been reading it seemed like 35's were the max to be safe for the tranny without gears and 37's were pretty much the beginning of really needing them.

If you have a 3.08 or 3.23, I would regear sooner than later. Not only is it better on your trans, but nothing is worse than having a nice big truck that can't get out of its own way. 4.56s will work with 35s and 37s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts