GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt get as much as I hoped done over spring break due to me having my wisdom teeth removed but still got some done. I painted my 14 bolt and the shaft, cleaned off the hubs. All thats left on it is to paint the hubs, reinstal the bearins and races, and assemble. Also order and run the brake lines on it. Next I finished disasembling the Dana 60 and started to clean it off. It still needs to have the kingpins removed but I have to find a 7/8" allen key to do thats. Im about ready to order the kingpin rebuild kits as well as the wheel bearing kits for the Dana 60. Also bought a 1350 U joint yolk off a member here for it. If anyone knows where I can find the out wheel bearing races for the 14 bolt let me know, I need some new ones.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Timken:

Hub Seal: 15527652 <-GM Part #
Inner Race: 382A
Inner Bearing: 387AS
Outer Race: LM104911
Outer Bearing: LM104949

FYI: Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear use the exact same wheel bearings, inner and outer but use a different seal.

All that info came from the 14 bolt bible on pbb.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willyswanter said:
Timken:

FYI: Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear use the exact same wheel bearings, inner and outer but use a different seal.
Really? Guess ya learn something new every day. Makes things easy doesnt it. Thanks for the info, I missed that somehwo in the bible.... :think:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well, the same as a GM 60 front... I'm not sure if the Furds use the same bearings or not... I know I looked at them but can't remember...

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question, what kingpin rebuild kit is the most complete, Ive noticed some come with more than others. Same with the wheel bearing rebuild kits, what one has all the bearings, races, seals etc...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It's cheaper to just go to your local Napa and buy the wheel bearing parts... I bought one of the wheel bearing "kits" on ebay for like 40 bucks per wheel and then went to Napa and bought the same parts for about $25 per wheel... Just give them the Timken part #'s.

On the kingpin rebuilds, the kit from ORD is a nice one. Comes with everything you need.

Also, something most people overlook is the torrington bearing inside the spindle that the axle shaft rides on. Most people don't even know it's there but it should be replaced as well. Off Road Unlimited sells them online.

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
NastyGMC said:
jesus...you musta ran the makita on that d60 for about 3 hours!!!! i dont have the patience for that!

lookin good! :head:

:word: That must have taken forever.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spent about 4 hrs I would guess on the 14 bolt and maybe 1.5 so far on the 60. Its cleaned off alot easier. Also helps that its a 13 amp 7" craftsman. Its not nessisary to get it perfect but I try, figure the paint will just bond that much better.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went ahead and ordered the rebuild parts for the Dana 60 today, 2 kingpin kits , 2 sets of new wheel bearings and seals, 2 sets of spindle bearings and seals and 2 inner axle seals. This should be everything I need to rebuild it. I got it from http://www.4wdfactory.com , they know what they are talking about and are local to texas. All I have left to get now is the new calipers and rotors, gears and instal kit for the gears. Also new U joints if people think those should be replaced... what do you think (the 1480 joints that are in the knuckles, not the one at the pinion for the shaft, I need a new one of those anyways since im upgrading to a 1350)

·
Banned
487 Posts
I say replace them.. if your guna rebuilt it, rebuild it all and save yourself trouble later on. They must be only about 15$ a piece i paid like 13.90 for mine at carquest.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ehh the spicer sealed cold forged ones are more like 40 or 50 each....

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yep thats the same guy I bought mine from with the buy it now at 74.95 (didn't want to wait for the auction to end).

I bought my press from Harbor Freight on sale for like $99. It's the 20 ton that usually costs around $250. I've made a few mods and also got a press brake attachement so I can bend up to 1/2" plate 90 degrees.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I saw what I thought was the same one here in town for like 127 or something at Harbor freight, I might go and buy it, would be very usefull. You happy with it?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yep, it was a little flimsy when bolted together so I welded mine together... I'm going to cut it apart and make it a full 24" inside width though, it's like 21" right now. Then maybe add some rams and a power pack to it and and and... :anitoof:

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Why did you paint it, you dont have any spring perches or shock mounts welded on it yet? :think:

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TexK5 said:
Why did you paint it, you dont have any spring perches or shock mounts welded on it yet? :think:
The shock mounts are going to be a bolt on design with a U bolt and plate. Im going to wait to weld the perches on until the axle is sitting under the truck so I can get a close to perfect pinion angle. After they are welded on ill re-paint that small area, which will be alot less trouble than painting the entire axle I figured. I will already have the paint out to do my frame so that small area will be no big deal I figured.

1 - 20 of 326 Posts