GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the engine onto the frame last night so I figured I'd post up some pics. It's a 98 Vortec 454 and 4L80-E going into a 1989 Silverado that had a TBI 350 and 700R4. It should be pretty fun once it's done :head3: !!! Now that the running gear is in I'll need to finish up my wiring which is a bitch..... :bawl:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
LOL, I love the 80s paint. Please keep those stock lookin wheels.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, I love the 80s paint. Please keep those stock lookin wheels.
LOL! I don't plan on changing a thing on the outside. The only hint anybody will have of what I got under the hood will be a sticker on my back window that will read "RPO L19"

Better get use to rebuilding 8.2 IFS's! I give the 10 bolt one good run!
I got a 14-Bolt SF on the floor, once the 10-Bolt goes I'll install the SF!

I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do about the front........ :think:

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
so that combo looks like its a 4x4, your truck is a 4x4 right?

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so that combo looks like its a 4x4, your truck is a 4x4 right?
It is 4 wheel drive. It's a Z71, when my dad had it repainted in the 90s he decided he liked how the bed looked with no Z71 sticker on it.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Ok, I still don't get it. Why is a TH400 better than an 80e from a performance standpoint?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Ok, I still don't get it. Why is a TH400 better than an 80e from a performance standpoint?
let's just put it this way.

Is the 80e capable? Yes
Is the 80e an absolute powerhouse? Yes
Is it needed when staying under 500rwhp? No
Is it one of the best stock transmission ever built? Yes
Would I ever stick one in one of my vehicles? Not unless I was pushing over 600rwhp.

Yes it is a great transmission but it's slightly overkill on a 98 454 that only has like 250hp and 350tq.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm I didn't know that. BTW I was just in Willows this past friday. My girls car had a small issue and we got towed to Wunschs shop there in town and he took care of us.
Wunschs is a good shop, my parents get there cars worked on there. Willows is boring isn't it? :anitoof:

Is the 80e capable? Yes
Would I ever stick one in one of my vehicles? Not unless I was pushing over 600rwhp.

Yes it is a great transmission but it's slightly overkill on a 98 454 that only has like 250hp and 350tq.
True, it is gonna be a work truck though and trust me, my 89 goes through hell.... 290hp and 410tq stock, those are the numbers........ for now :devil2:

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts

Is the 80e capable? Yes

[whisper] Pssst, the 4l80e is a TH400 with OD and controlled by the PCM.[/whisper]

They both are going to suck just about the same amount of power, the 80e just gives you OD as well.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

Is the 80e capable? Yes

Umm, can I take a stab at this one?

You want him to find another transmission that is of lesser strength because the 4l80e that is already bolted to his engine and the computer is already programmed for is too much beef for his application? So instead he should find a TH400, scap the 4l80e, build a tcase adapter, and get his computer reprogrammed so he can go with a weaker trans?

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
Umm, can I take a stab at this one?

You want him to find another transmission that is of lesser strength because the 4l80e that is already bolted to his engine and the computer is already programmed for is too much beef for his application? So instead he should find a TH400, scap the 4l80e, build a tcase adapter, and get his computer reprogrammed so he can go with a weaker trans?
You are correct because once again he posts about something he knows nothing about:read:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts