GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the long weekend, I decided to clay bar the truck. Haven't waxed, polished or anything since it got painted back in 07 I think. Got the Meguiar's California Gold kit at Oreilly's and went to town. 3 hours later I was done.

Nothing really has changed in the truck other than I removed the tonneau cover. Also got a center console from sleepur606.

We had fixed my header leak and just recently the gaskets blew out again. Plan on fixing this again, there is a broken bolt on the passenger header side which we will fix.

After that is done, I will pulley down on the S/C hoping to go 2.9" from the 3.25" that is on there now.

My interior needs work as well; Got door panels and switches for power window conversion along with power mirrors just need to get the wiring harnesses. Why I need a DD, so I can get going on this project.

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
if that was lifted id want that even more so

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Are you using stock manifold gaskets? Truck looks great!

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Are you using stock manifold gaskets? Truck looks great!
We've used the ones that came with the SLP headers, then when those blew we used stock GM ones from the dealer. Those lasted a while but blew out eventually. We then switched over too some other ones can't recall the name. But we also used Stage 8 Fastners so they wouldn't back out. But again they blew out. Were removing the broken bolt this summer and redoign the gaskets. Hopefully solving the issue. It's getting old having the truck sound like shit. :crazy:

Truck looks great, ever think of painting the mirrors?
I have power, signal, heated mirrors that are painted. When I convert to power windows and door locks with stock panels which I have, they will go on. Just need the wiring for the panels and the time. I may paint my stock ones just to match the truck. I hate looking at the black mirrors.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
hmm i dunno how your blowing the header gaskets out like that... maybe the surface isnt perfectly level or somthing causeing it to have a weak spot? i been running the same gaskets and ive reused them like 5 times so far on this truck lol

Looks good though

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
hmm i dunno how your blowing the header gaskets out like that... maybe the surface isnt perfectly level or somthing causeing it to have a weak spot? i been running the same gaskets and ive reused them like 5 times so far on this truck lol

Looks good though
Yeah I am pretty sure you can go to a machine shop and have the surface milled to make sure they are 100% flat. I did this on my 87GN and we didn't even run a gasket it worked so well.

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would make sense. When we get the bolt tapped out I will have the headers looked at and resurfaced. Thanks for the info guys.

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The head surface is what would have to be milled.. I doubt you wanna pull the heads off the truck for that..

At this point I'm willing to do it. Instead of having to replace header gaskets every 6 months. Also can use the downtime to do some more internal work on the block. Thanks for clearing that up for me though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts