GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
GMC Owner
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving today, and i just was thinking....what if i had a 6.0L. I know its not a much bigger engine than my 5.3L but i could make some good HP with one.

What would i need to beef up on my truck if i wanted to go to a 6.0L.

Currently i have:

2002 5.3L with 97xxx miles.
4L60E with vette servo, with 15xxx miles on it roughly.
stock 10 bolt out back, 3.73 gears.

I want to eventually upgrade to 35's on my rig, so a 6.0 would be a nice upgrade for those as well, also would do gears if i upgraded to 35's.

but yea just curious.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Regear first, 4.88:1 since you want 35s

·
GMC Owner
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well im just asking speculatively. im not saying im gonna swap engines. im just curious to what i would need to do to run a bigger engine. a regear and 35's will come sooner than than a new engine.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
I'd like to possibly do this one day... but for now I'm just hoppin' up the ol' 5.3.

If I ever did get to the point where I wanted to do the swap, I'd be sure to build up the replacement motor nice and stout

Might want think about swapping out your G80, you just never know.

·
GMFS Senior Member
4,032 Posts
So you're basically just wanting to know what you have to do to prolong the life of your drivetrain.

A large external tranny cooler would be a good place to start!

·
GMC Owner
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea this is just all hypothetically. Nothings wrong with my 5.3L now, knock on wood.

But if i had to replace my motor i just wanna know what i would have to upgrade to be good.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
Upgrade the transmission...at minimum, i'd put a shift kit and servo in. 6L has more torque than your current engine and its in a heavier truck. those 60e's aren't very stout. if you have a g80, i'd swap it out for a true-trac or auburn LSD. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about anything else until problems arised.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Upgrade the transmission...at minimum, i'd put a shift kit and servo in. 6L has more torque than your current engine and its in a heavier truck. those 60e's aren't very stout. if you have a g80, i'd swap it out for a true-trac or auburn LSD. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about anything else until problems arised.
:imo

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
maybe if you're swapping into a truck with a manual tranny??
5.3's come with 4l60e most 6.0 come in 2500's with a 4l80e there is a spacer on the flywheel of a 6.0 that will prevent it mating to the 4l60e. So take the flywheel of the 5.3 and put in on the 6.0 if you want to run your stock trans.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
5.3's come with 4l60e most 6.0 come in 2500's with a 4l80e there is a spacer on the flywheel of a 6.0 that will prevent it mating to the 4l60e. So take the flywheel of the 5.3 and put in on the 6.0 if you want to run your stock trans.
Unless you get an LQ9, then you dont need to do anything.

·
haz 12"s!
4,533 Posts
Interesting... I know some of the 6.0s have a longer crank too.. that was ~2000 though.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
How much power is there to gain going from a stock 5.3L to a stock 6.0L LQ4?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts