GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone make upgraded ones? mine went out already on my 06. they went out on my dads 06, and on his old 05 as well. my buddy has an 06 cc, they went out too!
are these things just that bad? anyone else have any problems?

·
Registered
385 Posts
How do you know if your inner tie rods are bad or if your outters are bad..

and a big LOL to the "they come back hammered with some sort of VD"

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The only reason I knew was the steering was houling real bad and I checked the power steering resevoir and it was empty. I filled it up and it was empty again in a week. I took it to the dealer to have the rack replaced.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The swaying is caused by the inner tie rod specifically. If you try to get an alignment, the shop (if it is reputable) will tell you that the tie rod is out. An easy way to tell if the tie rod is worn on each side of the truck is to raise the front of the truck on a jack, and if you can shake the wheel side to side and it moves more than 1/8 of an inch, the rod is worn and should be replaced.

it was swaying, and if i hit a bump it felt like my wheel was going to FALL off. also they were alot looser than the new ones. does moog or someone make any?

·
Registered
385 Posts
My truck feels like a wheel is going to fall off now and has been for a while now.. Mine is a 06 with about 8800 miles on it.. Plus the 4-6 has been on there since about 100miles were on the truck.. think I might need new inners or outters? Sorry to highjack

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sure do! i bet that is your problem as well. they are about 80 bucks for a good set from napa, then you need to get re-aligned or your toe will be off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
these stupid things? anyone make nicer ones?

Those would be the inners correct? how in the world do you take them out??? I havent tried to even look at it but since you have done it already shoot me some pics or let me know in details how they come out and what to look for... When I took off my 22's today I tried to grab the wheel at 9 and 3 oclock and could wiggle the wheel about a 8th or more and it made a little sound but im not sure if its the inners??? I purchased a pair of those inserts from TouchofEvil on here to correct the outter tie rod angle...Isnt that supposed to help??? I havent installed them yet but need to...

·
Registered
653 Posts
i replaced mine about 1 yr ago and i think they're out again also. i also would like to know if there are any upgraded ones. steering wheel also kicks i think when they're out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i replaced mine about 1 yr ago and i think they're out again also. i also would like to know if there are any upgraded ones. steering wheel also kicks i think when they're out.
What do you have truck wise year, model, extended cab, 2wd? how many miles did you have when they went out and how many do they have on the second set that you think are toast... Thanks just trying to compare...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts