GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sierra SLT 1500, started with 4" BDS lift but added two more inches to clear 35 x12.5" still had to cut a bit on the front to eliminate rub. I love my truck but two times out on a great crawling trail had to finish in two wheel drive. First time my front diff shattered, my fault for going a little quick but this last time I broke a CV axle at low speed trying to go up a rock. Are there stronger parts available? The diff especially is my concern, the piece that broke was made of aluminum and I can't find anything about upgraded parts.
DSC_0568.JPG
DSC_0593.JPG

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,232 Posts
I'm not aware of anything you can do aside from solid axle swap. Sounds like you need that with how you're using the truck. Not sure IF a stronger 2500 diff can be mounted. There are a couple companies that make stronger CVs. Just have to search around.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Well you stretched a 4in drop lift to 6in for one. So added stress to your front end angles when articulating isn’t good. .

Sas or buy a bigger drop lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
The bulletproof CVs I've seen cost as much as the parts for SAS. Might as well do that. I costed out swapping my 6" RC lift to an 8" lift on my 05 at one point and SAS was cheaper if you know how to weld. Even if you don't it's close. But I never made the leap because I don't need it/would have been for looks.

You're out $2500 for these CVs and still haven't addressed all the weaknesses of the IFS setup.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultimate-ifs-cv-axle-set-for-gm-1500-88-and-up.html

·
Registered
643 Posts
In addition to everything above, you will have a hard time putting the 3/4 ton differential in a half ton frame. The 3/4 ton pumpkin is larger which moves the axle to the passenger side and you will have to redo all of the mounting hardware and use a spacer on the drivers side and cut down the passenger side CV shafts or have custom ones made. Then you will need to shorten the driveshaft because the pinion gear sticks out further.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
Not trying to be funny here but I never really considered a stock modern Chevy to be capable of a whole lot other than driving in a straight line. Not the first thing that comes to mind if you say "4x4". When I say stock I'm including lifted since all you really did is relocate the same suspension and maybe re-gear it to keep RPMs in check. Every other component is questionable once you start pushing it.

·
Super Moderator
5,312 Posts
My guess is he is doing the same thing the guy was doing with the 2500 rc lift

Just went through that thread, going to check mine tonight now, might be welding some fancy shit up lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely was crawling when the CV broke. Almost stopped and wheels turned too much. When I broke the diff it was impact and torque at the same time.

Sounds like a front locker and possibly dropping the diff more would help. I don't have the tools or capability to do the work myself so not sure I want to try the larger diff. I also don't want to go to solid axle as it mostly drives me around on pavement.

I want this truck to work, it is nice being the most comfortable person in the group with dual zone climate control, heated leather seats, nice stereo.....

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
They don’t make lockers for these diffs. And you need a whole new lift to drop your diff down more.

Or stop taking it on hard trails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you get a locker for the larger diff? It's a 9.25"? If I were to spend 4000-7000 on a trail rig and then have to do modifications I might as well spend it on my truck and be able to keep using it. I'll make some calls in my area and see if there's a shop willing to take on the diff swap.

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
It was already explained why the larger diff wouldn’t be worth it.

Then sas it. And be done with it. Otherwise you’re going to keep breaking shit. Adding a locker or larger diff isn’t going to stop you from breaking stuff with a stretched lift that’s not heavy duty. As your cvs are still a weak point.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
And not wanting solid axle on pavement is funny to me. Nice set of coilovers and it would probably ride better than your current setup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the encouragement LOL. You are dreaming if you think coilovers on solid axle are anywhere near the ride of IFS. I'll figure something out and maybe post some more picks later.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts