GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my 2004 GMC rcswb 5.3L Sierra in about two months when I leave Okinawa Japan. I am looking to install a whipple or radix supercharger on it once the motor is somewhat broken in. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what engine mods ie. crank, port & polish, fuel sys., gears, etc... that I should do to help the sc. I don't want my motor or drive train to wear out on me. I am looking to run 9lbs of boost and i'm trying to get somewhere around 420 rwhp. Any advice you have would be helpfull.

·
In Denial
280 Posts
What's your budget?

IMO, the power levels seen by bolting on a Radix would really kill a stock 4L60E. If you decide to slap on a supercharger, you should invest in a built tranny, ~3000 stall converter, and a good aftermarket cooler.

From what I hear, the Nelson tunes for the Radix work really well. Look into those.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My budget is about 9,000 for supercharger and upgrades right now.

As far as the tranny goes do you know a company that I could deal with considering it is an automatic. Or could I get away with a yank stall and an aftermarket or second cooler.

I am definately getting the nelson tune considering all the good things I have heard. One last thing it seems like the 3000 stall is pretty high, not sure because I have never worked with one.

·
In Denial
280 Posts
A good cooler, shift kit, and 'vette servos will buy you some time w/ the 60, but with the power that you're putting out, I would really suggest getting a built 60-E or converting over to an 80-E.

The s/c and tranny mods will probably eat up most of your $9k budget.

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
Scream said:
That was going to be my suggestion, along with a PI multi-disc converter.
i still have yet to put my Yank in, i wanna see how it feels compared to other brands...

·
In Denial
280 Posts
I really ought to quit recommending stuff that I haven't tried. :D

From the reading that I've done, I wish that I would have looked into the PI converters more than I did, especially the multi-dics.

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
Scream said:
I really ought to quit recommending stuff that I haven't tried. :D
its hard not to recommend them, especially with all positive feedback...

i'm gonna try out a local guy here, he built my friends tranny that is in his supercharged LT1 built 383 firebird.... hes running a 13.2 right now... and thats on radials with not alot of traction at launch... his tranny is holding up great...

of course there is still the weight difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I have been doing some surfing around and have heard alot about the 4L60E's having problems no matter how bulletproof you build them. I haven't seen anything on the 4L65E that you mentioned Onyx, but I will definately look into it. Have ya'll heard anything about the 4L80E swap, and how complicated it is? I have a little bit of experiance with auto's, I mostly work on Helicopters so I am probably going to get this done by a professional.

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
Tiggur said:
Yeah I have been doing some surfing around and have heard alot about the 4L60E's having problems no matter how bulletproof you build them. I haven't seen anything on the 4L65E that you mentioned Onyx, but I will definately look into it. Have ya'll heard anything about the 4L80E swap, and how complicated it is? I have a little bit of experiance with auto's, I mostly work on Helicopters so I am probably going to get this done by a professional.

if you wanna do an 80 swap, then the place to go to is LS1tech.com... i only know a little bit of the details on the correct route to take on that. Go to the truck performance section and either look for whitt1, flyer, or blownchevy. they have all done an 80 swap with great results...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
350rwhp+ you'll kill the stock 4l60E. I'd say the limits of one built are going to be about 450-475rwhp in a truck (could be higher, but I estimate low)...the more weight you got the worse off you are.

I fully concur that a TransGo with better servos will get you a lot further on a stock unit. I have. I'd also score some Sonnax bits... aluminum fwd accumulator, aluminum 1-2/3-4 accumulator, and their Servo Release check valve. I need to get un-lazy and install some of that shit I have too. lol

Skip the Yank for a PI, their parts are top notch. I've used them in the past on another Ford powered vehicle I ran. You don't really need a multiclutch (3 or 5) unless you plan to lockup the converter at the top of 2nd gear and through 3rd...that gives you a lil quicker ET and MPH. Get a big cooler too, B&M is what I'd run. The PI you'll want should be around 2600-2800rpm worth of stall...i'd probably go for about 2600rpm as all that torque is going to make it flash close to 3000rpm.

The biggest problem of 4L60E's is the 3-4 clutch pack once you have the badass internals, the clutches burn. The Raybestos Blue Plates don't work well in that place. I'd go for these setups...

8 clutch (not 9) of the Altos Red Eagles with full thickness Kolene steels
8 clutch BorgWarner High Enegry with full thickness Kolenes
13-14 single sided Raybestos MaxPac

Skip the Kevlar band on the street you don't need it. Fwd as well as low/rev clutches can be pretty much anything. I'd go for Alto Reds here too.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
DAMN, some pretty stout pricing there

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
They do carry a 1 year warranty...

but there's no appx power ratings they give or stipluations regarding the warranty...

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
true.. blownchevy was talkin to em at his meet in louisville... thats where i got teh link.. he was checkin it out

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Ah gotcha, their product looks very sound.

They need a bit more info on what they put into it is all...

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Ah gotcha, their product looks very sound.

They need a bit more info on what they put into it is all...

:word: i think i'll still have a guy i heard about here do it... then we'll see how that holds up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts