GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new upper ball joints, mine have decent amount of play, which I don't like. I've done some searching and everyone says its a pain in the ass on these trucks. What all is needed to replace a ball joint? Or am I best off buying new Moog upper control arms? after all they come with new control arm bushing too.

Ideas? And anyone have a how-to to do a ball joint?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Check youtube, lots of videos there

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd get the new Moog upper ball joint assembly. Heck it even comes with new control arm bushings. Pirece of mind. Just remove old and in with the new.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
its can be a pain, but they're not tha t bad with the right tools.

there is a circle clip on the bottom of the joint you need to pull off then you just use a ball joint press (rent from parts store) and press it right out once you have the spindle of the ball joint out of the knuckle.

might need to hit the knuckle with a hammer or use a pickle fork to get the ball joint out of the knuckle.

It's probably best to just do your whole front end if you havent replaced any of it and you notice some play in the joints.

upper a lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, idler arm, and pitman arm. You can get all those parts through Rockauto for half of what the parts stores charge. I'd plan out at least a day to get it all done, then you'll need an alignment.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
Just buy my UCAs. They still have the BJs in them.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its can be a pain, but they're not tha t bad with the right tools.

there is a circle clip on the bottom of the joint you need to pull off then you just use a ball joint press (rent from parts store) and press it right out once you have the spindle of the ball joint out of the knuckle.

might need to hit the knuckle with a hammer or use a pickle fork to get the ball joint out of the knuckle.

It's probably best to just do your whole front end if you havent replaced any of it and you notice some play in the joints.

upper a lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, idler arm, and pitman arm. You can get all those parts through Rockauto for half of what the parts stores charge. I'd plan out at least a day to get it all done, then you'll need an alignment.
Hubs assy/inners & outers are new, pitman/idler have 20,000 km on them. LBJ's are still mint, boots are mine, dont leak, and no play. Uppers, boots ripped, and had no grease for a while.

And I think I may just get the moog upper control arms, $79 CAD with A-Arm bushings, ball joint & arm all ready to go, and it's only $35 more than just a Moog ball joint.

RockAuto also has ACdelco arms, they better or not as good as Moog?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I did the arm/joint when I did mine last summer.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys. I will be ordering the Moog UCA's. Going to install once my RC Full level gets here!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought Moog upper and lower ball joints, started the job, and decided F-THIS. Took it to a shop and paid $450 labor including the alignment. Ouch.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have to replace the camber plates when installing new upper control arms?

I just got my new Moog UCA's, going to do them soon.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
no need to replace the cam plates unless u want plates that give u an extra degree of adjustment :shrug:

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no need to replace the cam plates unless u want plates that give u an extra degree of adjustment :shrug:
do not need, so, perfect! Thanks! Got all 4 new shocks (Monroe Reflex), new Moog UCA's, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings. Truck has new Moog Inners & Outers & hubs assys, so It's time to crank the front end up a little more, and put some 295/70/17 Trail grapps on my NBS 17's :big_banana_Dance:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts