GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Steady Skate'in
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this guy at work claims his neighbor flipped his rear leaf springs to drop his truck. He told me it would work on my truck, but I begg to differ. I think he doesn't know what he's talking about, but has anyone ever heard of this????

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
what he probably ment was that his neighbor relocated the axle to the top of his leaf springs, also known as a flip-kit, to drop the truck. This results in a 6 inch drop on fullsize GM trucks.

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
:word: Id have to agree :read:

·
Formerly Bagged Member
220 Posts
i dunno man, i do know of some people that have had their leaf packs taken apart and turned the monoleaf upside down to drop it, puts the axle all the way to the frame or bumpsstop depending what u have and will slam your shit out. also riding like total shit and not being the least bit comfortable since you have zero suspension. but yes. it can and has been done before

·
Steady Skate'in
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A lowboy, you are right he had a pic and the spring is upside down.... I looks crazy. I know has to ride like crap.

·
Formerly Bagged Member
220 Posts
trust me, imagine somethin that rides like shit..... then make it 10x's worse. after about 15 min of riding in it your back will kill you

·
Registered
124 Posts
01LowBoy said:
i dunno man, i do know of some people that have had their leaf packs taken apart and turned the monoleaf upside down to drop it, puts the axle all the way to the frame or bumpsstop depending what u have and will slam your shit out. also riding like total shit and not being the least bit comfortable since you have zero suspension. but yes. it can and has been done before
Thats insane...why not just weld the axle straight to the frame and forget about any illusion of a suspension at all....

:think: hmmm....I wonder what they would do to the front end...I know remove both coil springs ...cut one in half and put one of these halves back on each side....yehaw like a 8 inch front drop... :anitoof:

·
MIA
1,157 Posts
YB_Average said:
Hey, this guy at work claims his neighbor flipped his rear leaf springs to drop his truck. He told me it would work on my truck, but I begg to differ. I think he doesn't know what he's talking about, but has anyone ever heard of this????

That's the "old school" drop. You flip the leafs upside down. It's classed right up there with heating the springs to drop the front.

You CAN do it, but why make a 20k truck ride like a pile of shit. Flips kits are cheap and easy to install.

If you were refering to "fliping your leafs" then yes that is ok, and what is normaly done. You install a flip kit and the axle is above the leaf pack instead of under it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts