GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone swapped out the cigarette plug for a usb port that only charges. i know people have swapped it with a aftermarket radio but I have a factory radio. Would like to use stock parts:

USB Cover (Retainer) - 20983937
USB Port (Receptacle) - 20944422

This has a mini usb connector on the back.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I went aftermarket I used parts similar to these with a USB to mini USB. Hid them behind the dash. Worked great for the last three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
When I went aftermarket I used parts similar to these with a USB to mini USB. Hid them behind the dash. Worked great for the last three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have tried lots of those adapters and the most important thing to look at when buying one is the charging amps. Alot of them are 1 amp or less which won't charge most smart phones, just keeps them from dying. You'll want 2 amps to get a decent charge.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
As far as choosing amperage, you want to look at what kind of charging you'll be doing. are you sitting in your car for extended periods of time watching movies/playing games? a 700-900mA charge should be just fine. Looking for a quick boost of battery? 1-2A is what that's for. granted, charging your battery at higher amperage over time will start to affect battery life.

the charger that comes with most phones is around 900mA since most charge their phones over night. Just check what amperage the charger for your phone came with and make a decision based off that.

to put it simply, if you'll be plugging it in for a long time in the car, the lower amp chargers are fine. If you are really wanting something to juice up the battery quickly, then it might be worth looking for something with more amps.

the best battery charging practice is to use most of it during the day and charge it over night on the original charger the phone came with.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as you connect it to a 12V source I don't see an issue.
The usb standard is only 5v but the amperage varies depending on application.

I think what I'll do is remove the cigarette plug and hide it behind the dash. Plug my 12v to usb adapter into it with the appropriate usb cable then connect to the back of the factory usb port. Need to secure everything to avoid rattles. I have all these parts on hand except the factory port.

The cigarette lighter is useless to me since I don't smoke. Having the adapter behind the dash would be one less thing taking up space in the center console. Now I need to decide if I should get the newer factory 12v socket also so everything matches.

Thanks for the input guys, guess I was making it harder then it had to be.

·
official cat dragger
1,640 Posts
I took my cig lighter out and used this in its place:

plugged it into the rear usb on my double din.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts