GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am looking into buying my first vehicle, and like many other high school students my age, I don´t have a lot of knowledge with cars/trucks. I am pursuing a career on a full time ranch and looking to buy a used 3/4 ton truck. I am hoping to gain some knowledge from this forum about what I should avoid and what to look out for (pros and cons) in GM and Chevy. I have done a little bit of research and have found that many people like the GMC Sierra and the Chevy Silverado. I am hoping I can find something under 100,000 miles and under $10,000. Is there a year (or years) that stood out the best in performance and longevity? I understand that the GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado are the same truck give or take a few cosmetic changes over the years. I am open to other makes/models of 3/4 ton trucks, any suggestions are more than welcome.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Hello! I am looking into buying my first vehicle, and like many other high school students my age, I don´t have a lot of knowledge with cars/trucks. I am pursuing a career on a full time ranch and looking to buy a used 3/4 ton truck. I am hoping to gain some knowledge from this forum about what I should avoid and what to look out for (pros and cons) in GM and Chevy. I have done a little bit of research and have found that many people like the GMC Sierra and the Chevy Silverado. I am hoping I can find something under 100,000 miles and under $10,000. Is there a year (or years) that stood out the best in performance and longevity? I understand that the GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado are the same truck give or take a few cosmetic changes over the years. I am open to other makes/models of 3/4 ton trucks, any suggestions are more than welcome.
Good luck finding a 3/4 ton under 100k for under $10k. Your best bet would be finding an 01-07c 2500hd with the 6.0L gas

Hell, drive on over to MO and I'll sell you mine lol

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
You’re going to find nothing but rust buckets or blow transmissions for that year range and model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You’re going to find nothing but rust buckets or blow transmissions for that year range and model

Not in 3/4 tons. 4l80s are pretty stout in most cases. And finding a relatively clean truck isn't that hard. He could easily fly out west or down south and drive back something within that range or find something local. Yeah a diesel would be impossible but a gasser is very possible

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will admit, it is very hard to talk to people without them telling me the honest truth, which is why I turned to truck forums. Everyone Iḿ talking to says that a girl has no business driving a 3/4 ton truck. Well, most people also told me a girl could not make it as a ranch hand, let alone a wrangler. I do appreciate the feedback, this is farther than I have gotten so far. There are a few within 100,000-130,000 miles on Autotrader and Car Gurus, but I do not know what to be looking out for, what to immediately cross off my life, or even where to start. No one said finding a first truck would be this hard. Iḿ not even looking for diesel, I am looking for a 4.8 liter V6 Gas powered 3/4 ton truck. Most people also said finding that under $10,000 is highly doubted, so is there something similar within that price range?

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,722 Posts
Well a couple things. You can't get a 4.8 in a 3\4 ton, a 4.8 is a V8, and why must you have a 3\4 ton?

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,722 Posts
I rented a 3/4 ton Chevy van in FL last year (12 person), it had a V6 in it!

Yea a van. She is not asking for a van. You can also get a 4l80e behind a 4.8 in a van

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, long day. Not a 4.8, 4.3 is what I meant. Ie been warned against 5.3 liters. Iḿ looking for a 3/4 ton because I have no use for a full size truck. Iḿ not planning on towing 10,000lbs anytime soon. The most I will be towing is probably 8,000lbs. I just want something that will tow at least 5,000lbs and that gets 14mpg, less than 150,000 miles on it, and hopefully figure out which truck will not have a transmission or motor going out easily on me, but I guess that depends on the truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In other words, this is my first truck, or any vehicle for that matter, and I want something reliable and that will not cost me an arm and a leg a year from now in parts, but that will also be functional and something I can actually use for itś intended purpose.

·
The great white Canadian
1,845 Posts
Sorry, long day. Not a 4.8, 4.3 is what I meant. Ie been warned against 5.3 liters. Iḿ looking for a 3/4 ton because I have no use for a full size truck. Iḿ not planning on towing 10,000lbs anytime soon. The most I will be towing is probably 8,000lbs. I just want something that will tow at least 5,000lbs and that gets 14mpg, less than 150,000 miles on it, and hopefully figure out which truck will not have a transmission or motor going out easily on me, but I guess that depends on the truck.
1. You won't find a 4.3 V6 in a 3/4 ton truck.
2. A 3/4 ton is s full size truck, a 1/2 ton is s fullsize truck.
3. If you stay with 2007 Classic and older trucks the 5.3 won't have AFM, which is the cause of the 5.3's weak lifters.

If you want to tow 8000 lbs, get a 4.3 out of your head, it's not going to do it. Not for long anyway. Look at 1999-07 trucks. 2wd 1500HD's and early 2500's can be found at a pretty good price, but mileage may start to get up there. They will have the 6.0, and they can be very reliable even at high mileage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, you’re going to want a 1/2 ton. You’ll get them cheaper, and more to pick from. It’ll do all you’re asking for there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Daly, that was a lot of good info. I do not claim to know a lot about trucks, way far from it. I know nearly nothing about trucks, apart from the fact that a 2012 Chevy Silverado is the first thing I was taught how to drive, and I have towed with one before. Iḿ not sure what an AFM is. I was looking at the 2007ś, but honestly all I was doing was confusing myself by using google and asking to show me best used trucks. I have been told to stay away from anything over 130,000 miles because apparently from there the parts start needing replacing. This is definitley more info than I had before, now all I have to do is narrow down which truck will be the best for me, and then look from there. I am all ears, any other info you wish you would have had when looking for your first vehicle? The more the better!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Thanks Daly, that was a lot of good info. I do not claim to know a lot about trucks, way far from it. I know nearly nothing about trucks, apart from the fact that a 2012 Chevy Silverado is the first thing I was taught how to drive, and I have towed with one before. Iḿ not sure what an AFM is. I was looking at the 2007ś, but honestly all I was doing was confusing myself by using google and asking to show me best used trucks. I have been told to stay away from anything over 130,000 miles because apparently from there the parts start needing replacing. This is definitley more info than I had before, now all I have to do is narrow down which truck will be the best for me, and then look from there. I am all ears, any other info you wish you would have had when looking for your first vehicle? The more the better!
07+ had AFM/DOD on 5.3 and 6.2. It’s a 4cyl mode that has super weak lifters, and there prone to failures. 99-06 are good.

Over 130,000 is more than fine, they’ll last another 100,000 with zero to minor work.

And always look out for a cluster swap. Mileage is stored on the cluster, not the truck, and sadly it’s a common practice to put low mileage clusters in old turds.

·
The great white Canadian
1,845 Posts
Mileage is subjective. You could find a well taken care of truck with 300k miles and it could be better and need less then some trucks that only have 90k. It all depends on the previous owners. I'm at the point in my life, financially that I can pay for lower mileage vehicles, but my first truck had 200k miles on it when I bought it. Bought it from a farmer that took care of it and it showed. My next vehicle only had 105k on it when I got it and it was a POS. Previous owner did not take care of it and it showed. My $2k 200k mile 83 C10 was a much better truck than my $7k 105k mile 94 C1500.
Buying used is a crap shoot, hell buying a vehicle is a crap shoot.

AFM is Active Fuel Management. It's the system that GM uses to "claim" better fuel economy. It shuts down 4 cylinders when there is no load applied to the engine. It's the lifters in those 4 cylinders that could cause a problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome, that helps even more! I did not know that about the miles, thats another really good thing to know. Is the 2007 a 5.3? I will also note the cluster swap, how do I tell if there has been a swap or not? Again, just now being educated in trucks, everything I know is in this forum.

·
The great white Canadian
1,845 Posts
07+ had AFM/DOD on 5.3 and 6.2. It’s a 4cyl mode that has super weak lifters, and there prone to failures.
Just to clarify 07+ 5.3's have AFM. The 6.2's didn't get AFM until 2014.

But OP, don't worry about the 6.2, you ain't getting one of them in your price/mileage range.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just to clarify 07+ 5.3's have AFM. The 6.2's didn't get AFM until 2014.

But OP, don't worry about the 6.2, you ain't getting one of them in your price/mileage range.
6.2s had AFM way before 2014. Have you never seen a auto camareo?

·
The great white Canadian
1,845 Posts
Yes an
Awesome, that helps even more! I did not know that about the miles, thats another really good thing to know. Is the 2007 a 5.3? I will also note the cluster swap, how do I tell if there has been a swap or not? Again, just now being educated in trucks, everything I know is in this forum.
2007 can have a 5.3.
But 2007 is a tricky year. It was a first year for a new generation of truck, and GM likes to have a carryover year. So in 2007 GM had two styles of fullsize truck.
If it looks like this.

It's a 2007 Silverado classic. It's a carryover from the last design. If it has a 5.3 it doesn't have AFM.

If it looks like this.

It's a 2007 Silverado. These trucks are equipped with AFM if they come with the 5.3. These are the trucks that tend to have lifter problems.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Dick move hu?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.