GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
meow
15,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about selling my truck. It's a bit more than I need at this stage of my life (broke college student :crazy:) and I'm looking at getting something with a bit more room (66-77 Bronco). So at some point I have to sell it. Now comes the part that I hate, putting a price it. Not trying to shoot so high that people will laugh and never call, and certainly not putting it to low and missing out on possible cash in your pockets.

I started out with a quick search at KBB:

Private party - Good Condition - $7,735
Private party - Excellent - $8,340
Stealership - $10,120

Nada search:

High Retail - $10,450*
Medium Retail - $9450*

*(is there not a 'private' value on nada.com?)

I do not have a lot of extras in my pickup. I do however, like alot of older trucks, have alot of new replacement parts installed. Aftermarket parts include complete stereo system, lift kit with all 'wear-able' parts replaced alligned and warrantied, and some newer wheels and tires.

Problems with my truck:

I don't have any major mechanical problems with my truck. It starts, runs, and drive nice. My only concern is my rear end. I was told by 4wp that there were metal 'flakes' in the diff fluid, checked out two times after that by other garages and they both said it was fine (everything was inspected and no trash in the fluid). Only reason I would say this is because I feel like it's my obligation to tell the buyer.

The exterior is a little less prestine. I have a re-sprayed truck that looks great from 5-10 feet, but the up close some of the paint has chiped off.

Having said all of this, what do you see as a good starting price? I know that the values like KBB's are market value, i.e. someone would be willing to buy for that price, but I am not in a huge hurry and wouldn't mind it sitting for awhile. I listed it before for way to high, and would like to start it at a more reasonable level. Opinions are welcome :read: :bowtie:

Pictures:

P1010012.gif

CIMG1260.gif

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Though it may cost you, you could list it on ebay with a low starting price and a reserve you could live with. See how high the bids go. People on ebay are looking for deals, so the high bid you get will probably be in the neighborhood 70% of what you could get locally.

Truck looks good. Have a red '89 stepside getting it's tranny rebuilt now. Looks about 10% as nice as yours. Problem comes in that what you're asking for the truck, will people be able to get "better" at the dealership for the same price? Not sure of all your stats, but based on what you gave, you might be able to pull $7500.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,649 Posts
I got $2500 for my old '94 with a RC 3", RCLB, I'd say that around here, you'd be at a solid $5000

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
how bad is the paint job?

take kbb or did you try edmunds.com yet?
compare the two.... figure an average between them, then deduct another 1-2k, and then about 50-40% of the toys (not including installation labor) and add that to the averaged #. that ought to give you a fair starting point.

·
meow
15,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry did not list the 'stat's

1998 K1500
350 5.7L
99,XXX miles (off due to tires but not substantialy)
Stepside
Z-71
Cruise/Tilt/PWR lumbar
60/40 Cloth bench
PW/PL/Power mirrors

*Edmunds was $6,800 :think: 900 less than KBB. I may just put a larger price on it and see if I get any calls :shrug:

·
Registered
775 Posts
i'd put it up for about $7500 like stated above and see what kind of offers you get from there.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
It totally depends on the area. Around here, I'd say a bone stock truck like yours in the same condition would go for $6k. With your extras, probably $7k.

·
Team Volvo
1,620 Posts
In my area when I bought my 1989 Chevy Silverado RCSB Z71, 350 PW PL Cruise with 117,000 was $4300. That was an extremely good deal considering any OBS GM z71's go for 5500-7500 in this area.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I did an autotrader search and from the looks of it. People are asking around $7500-$9000 with comparable miles. Throw an $8500 price tag on it and see if you get any bites.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts