GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here messed up while spraying it? Was it hard to clean up? there website said it doesn't remove very easy.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
i always let it dry and sanded it down again...sucks, but whatever...looked better in the end

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
If you mess up you can always sand it with some 600 grit paper and try again. Make sure it is fully dried before you attempt to fix anything or you'll just make it much, much worse. I think you'd get better results with the paint if you changed your avatar too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
A good rule of thumb when going back on after you get the old stuff sanded off...

Laquer Thinner is a pretty good cleaner. Be sure to wipe it down with a dry rag right after applying laquer thinner to ensure no damage to the lenses... It's also a good idea to rub them down with a tack rag just before spraying to pick up any loose dirt/dust that might have collected.

1st coat: very very light tack coat, just to get some coverage (should just look fogged on)

Let set for 1-2 minutes

2nd coat: medium coat, not wet but heavier than the 1st coat.

Let set for 3-4 minutes

3rd coat (MOST IMPORTANT ONE): Evenly spaced and wet coat. This is the coat that determines the finish product so don't go overboard, but make sure you get good coverage and try not to get any dry spots.

Follow this method and lay the 3rd coat down and you should not have to do any polishing for a good shine.

One thing to remember, if you see a spot that isn't covered well after the 3rd coat, you CAN NOT just hit that spot again. It will create a dry spot around wherever you spray, so if it's bad enough that you have to put some more on, you'll have to do another wet finish coat over the whole light.

·
Registered
81 Posts
do you know any good paint guys let them paint them to match the truck you will be alot happier they will not look dull they will shine just like the truck
DSCI0048.jpg

DSCI0052.jpg

·
Two CC GMC Family
429 Posts
do you know any good paint guys let them paint them to match the truck you will be alot happier they will not look dull they will shine just like the truck
DSCI0048.jpg

DSCI0052.jpg
Holly fuckin' sickness batman!!! That is sweet!

·
Registered
254 Posts
For those of you that have tinted your own tails, what clear did you use? I heard the testors clear turns yellow after a couple of months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts