GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, thought this would be a good place to ask, whats your thoughts on the Viair 550 compressor? I'm going to use it for on board air for running air tools, my locker, and airing up tires. I have a 5 gallon tank already and just need something to fill it. I had a york but had to remove it since a new power steering pump went in it's place so I need an electric pump now.

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
They're JUNK. They're not sealed from the elements, so unless you put it in your cab it's gonna get fucked up quick. The Viair 400 is decent, but only 33% duty cycle. The Viair 450 isn't as fast as the 400, but its 100% duty cycle.

Honestly, nothing beats a York belt-driven.

But don't some of you offroad guys use those Oasis compressors that are like electric-driven Yorks? Trailhead or something? Might want to look into that if you have a beefy electrical system.

·
CaddyHack
574 Posts
LowBlue02 said:
They're JUNK. They're not sealed from the elements, so unless you put it in your cab it's gonna get fucked up quick. The Viair 400 is decent, but only 33% duty cycle. The Viair 450 isn't as fast as the 400, but its 100% duty cycle.

Honestly, nothing beats a York belt-driven.

But don't some of you offroad guys use those Oasis compressors that are like electric-driven Yorks? Trailhead or something? Might want to look into that if you have a beefy electrical system.

I have heard the same thing about the 550's.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the oba.com one is like way expensive... And I don't make that much money...

Other than the viair not being sealed, what else is wrong with it to make it junk? It will be protected so I'm not worried about that.

I have the longest belt currently made in the US right now on my engine and there is aboslutely no way to make a york fit on there anymore, trust me, I tried.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
willyswanter said:
Well the oba.com one is like way expensive... And I don't make that much money...

Other than the viair not being sealed, what else is wrong with it to make it junk? It will be protected so I'm not worried about that.

I have the longest belt currently made in the US right now on my engine and there is aboslutely no way to make a york fit on there anymore, trust me, I tried.
my york isn't driven off my serpentine belt. :Read: They changed out the pulley off my altenator, and another belt is ran from there

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Well, the only other thing I've heard besides them not being sealed is that a couple months ago they had a manufacturing defect in the head and they would fail quick. You should be fine using it as long as it is sealed WELL.

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Electric compressors aren't the most soothing sound in the world. Take the biggest one Viair makes for our application and put it in the cab with you, and I would think it would be pretty damn annoying. I haven't heard a 550, but of all the electric compressors I've heard, I wouldn't want one anywhere on my truck much less in the cab.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got it today and hooked it to the battery and it's suprisingly quiet... So behind the back seat it went! Anyone happen to know how much clearance it should have around the head for heat?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts