GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got this truck it's had a strange vibration/shake while braking. It doesn't really do it under really hard or light braking, just moderate for the most part. It's just worst when speed gets down to about 40mph. For example if I'm slowing down from interstate speeds, the truck won't shake at 70, but it'll start getting worse as it gets down to 50-40 and fade out after that.
Replaced the front rotors not too long after I bought the truck (pads still looked good so I didn't replace those).
had a front end alignment
new tires
Truck started throwing codes for the ABS module, left front wheel speed sensor, and rear speed sensor. I replaced those (ABS module was a junkyard part) along with the fuse. Replacing the sensors got rid of the annoying dash light but didn't fix the problem. Replacing the module seemed to help at first but the vibration soon came back, which makes me wonder if it's abs related but I don't feel the pedal pulsing...it feels normal.

I've basically lived with this problem. It's really just an annoyance, truck stops fine but I'd like to get it fixed.

Anyone had this problem?
Oh yea, it's a 97 Z71 ext cab stock except for the T-bars cranked.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hubs have crossed my mind, especially since one has recently started squeaking while turning...really looking forward to fixing that. It rides down the road fine though, no vibration at any speed from 1 to 100 or while accelerating...just while braking.
As far as rotors, it was pretty much the same before and after I replaced them, not saying it isn't possible though. May pull them off and have them checked one day.
It doesn't feel like a side to side vibration either, more like the front end is bouncing rapidly.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
hubs are soooooooooooooo easy as long as you have a breaker bar with some cheater pipe and wd-40 or rem oil and itll be a breeze. just be careful with clipping the line for the abs/wheel speed sensor back on cause its not real cheap to replace if im told right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts