GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with a 4.8l v8 that has well over 240,000 miles and starting to have issues. I'm wanting to upgrade to a 5.3 or a 6.0. I have found a lot of information on this site to help in that decision. However what I haven't seen and need with is the VIN number. When looking at crate motors some say they will only fit models with a certain letter in the vin, I find most common the letters T and Z. Mine is V. Can anyone explain this to me. Thank you.

·
Some dude on the internet
851 Posts
Any gen 3 "LS" based v8 long block will fit and be a direct bolt in. Your parts guy wants the VIN so they can match the vehicle with the factory installed engine. If you just have to know the VIN callout, it's the 8th character.

Gen. 3, LS Truck Engines​
8th Digit of VIN​
RPO Code​
Disp.​
Common Name​
Iron Block​
V​
LR4
4.8L​
Vortec 4800​
T​
LM7
5.3L​
Vortec 5300​
Z​
L59
U​
LQ4
6.0L​
Vortec 6000​
N​
LQ9
Vortec HO 6000 or VortecMax​
Aluminum Block​
P​
LM4
5.3L​
Vortec 5300​
B​
L33
Vortec 5300 H.O.​

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I've been trying to figure it out. With the old 4.8 on its last leg I know an upgrade is coming sooner or later. Admittedly trying to shift thru the numerous companies that offer crate motors it's hard determining anything of value. So I came here for some actual help from people who have been thru this before. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts