GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 GMC Sierra Ext Cab Short Bed, Vortec 305.
Question: I want to take my exhaust off from the cat back. (At the flange right after the cat) What will my options be for exhaust. If it wouldnt soud bad id like to just put some straight pipe to get back away from the cab then a turn down. My question is where can i get a peice of straight pipe with a flagend end to mate up witht the stock one. I dont want to cut up the stock exhaust for the option of going back if i dont like it...
any thought/ suggestions. Should i put a muffler then the turn down??? Thanks

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
muffler, yes, straight pipe, no

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was just reading and that sounded better. what about connecting it to the flange though?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It would be nice to run a Vortec 350 dual cat setup, the 4.3 and the Vortec 305 L30 use the single cat setup. or at least a non stock Y-pipe.

The stock Vortec 350 uses dual 1 7/8" piping from the manilfolds to the cats. It does crimp down considerably on the 90° bends. Thtas why I went with a dual 2 1/2" crimp bent stainless headpipes from the LT's to the 2 1/2" cats.

The factory exhaust can defintley be improved upon on both the L30 305 and the L31 350 setups.

Cat-forward is just as important as cat-back. Get some PCM tuning and the gains are nice.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be nice to run a Vortec 350 dual cat setup, the 4.3 and the Vortec 305 L30 use the single cat setup. or at least a non stock Y-pipe.

The stock Vortec 350 uses dual 1 7/8" piping from the manilfolds to the cats. It does crimp down considerably on the 90° bends. Thtas why I went with a dual 2 1/2" crimp bent stainless headpipes from the LT's to the 2 1/2" cats.

The factory exhaust can defintley be improved upon on both the L30 305 and the L31 350 setups.

Cat-forward is just as important as cat-back. Get some PCM tuning and the gains are nice.

peace
Hog

yeah you lost me...what do you mean the vortec 305 uses a non stock y-pipe? im really not to worried about the cat forward at this time just wanted to make it sound a little better, simply and cheaply. i dont know if i even ever seen a kit for a 305 cat back. everythings for 350's so i think customs the only route, right?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Don't run a straight pipe, sounds like ass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts