GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you might know I'm building up my 1989 Silverado, this is the official build thread for that truck.

The Truck
-1989 K-1500 Work Truck (not a W/T, an actual work truck that has been though hell)
-2nd TBI 350
-Original 700R4
-Original NP241
-2nd 10-Bolt
-Flowmaster Muffler

The New Parts (as of Friday, January 04, 2008)
-1998 Vortec 454
-1998 4L80-E
-1998 14-Bolt FF
-Hydro-Boost Brake Booster
-1998 AC System
-A Lot More Less Important Stuff

Performance Parts (as of Friday, January 04, 2008)
-K&N Intake
-Hooker Competition Long Tube Headers
-Tuning
-Magnaflow Mufflers
-All Emissions Equipment Removed
-4:10 Gearing
-TransGo Shift Kit

The History
This was my first vehicle and has served me well. I remember driving this truck on my 16th birthday, the day I got my license. My father bought this truck new in 1988, I still remember him bringing it home. My father wasn't very easy on it. In 1996, after 8 years of being ran hard, it became a work truck for our employees. They really were not easy on it. Then, in 2000, I got thistruck. The radio didn't work, the suspension squeaked, the motor/transmission made noise and the brakes barely worked. I LOVED IT!!! I was easy on it for about a week, then it was on! I burnt out, I locked up the brakes, I jumped the thing and I have hit shit with this truck! I ran her ragged! Until I lost my license for 6 months in 2001 :crazy: ...... After I got my license back I was way calmer, plus I bought my 2002 Silverado. The blue and silver truck became my second truck. All was well until 2006 when the engine and transmission started making horrible noises. I decided to replace the engine and transmission. Then, I decided to swap in the Vortec 454 and 4L80-E.......

Personel
Basically the only help I have is my friend Jesus (Money Power Respect). He is the only friend willing to put in work and help me. Thanks Bro!

Me (Pete, the big white guy)
408861_38_full.jpg

Jesus (The Mexican)
MoneyPowerRespect0.jpg

So, let's get you up to speed. :rocking:

Silvy.jpg

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Engine (Vortec 454)

DSCF0011.jpg

The Transmission (4L80-E)

DSCF0006.jpg

The first thing we did, before we took the truck apart, was install the shift kit. It was pretty easy since the transmission was out of the vehical. We used a TransGo Shift Kit like this one.

trg-4l80e_w.jpg

100_0979.jpg

100_0988.jpg

100_1024.jpg

100_0990.jpg

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
reminds me of my first truck

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once the TransGo Shift Kit was installed it was time to pull the truck into the hanger and start tearing her down.

100_1389.jpg

That's why my A/C never worked well!!!!! :anitoof:

DSC00916.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

I got the A/C problem covered now! Testing the fit for the 1998 condenser. It fit perfectly!

DSC00956.jpg

Once we got the old TBI 350, 700R4 and NP241 out we set the engines next to each other for comparison.

DSC00960.jpg

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wanting to use my stock NP241 transfer case with the new engine and transmission. Thanks to bggrnchvy's thread and help I was able to swich input shafts. :shake:

The 241 Pre-Op

DSC00969.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

The new and old input shafts.

DSC00989.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

The 241 Post-Op

DSC01075.jpg

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Energy Suspention Polyurethane motor mount next to the stock rubber mount.

DSC01040.jpg

I'm gonna have to clean out the shop to get the truck in! Too many engines!

DSC01123.jpg

Hydro-Boost setup was a breeze to swap, it all bolted right up.

DSC01087.jpg

Now off to one of the hardest things to do...... wiring :think:

100_1819.jpg

100_1823.jpg

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jesus enjoying my trucks new drivetrain! :roflsquared:

100_1825.jpg

The new engine and transmission are a little bigger than the stock units so to aide in installing the engine/trans/NP241, wiring and plumbing we decided to pull the cab.

0730072134.jpg

0730072135.jpg

0730072134b.jpg

Then, we lowered the whole drivetrain! :evil:

0730072205.jpg

0731070014.jpg

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
this is a fuckin awesome build.

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hooking up the cruise control the easy way.

DSC02133.jpg

DSC02135.jpg

DSC02137.jpg

Hmmm, what would I need two foglight switchs for? :secret:

DSC02140.jpg

We need to put in a new fuel pump and rear end so what the hell, off with the bed!

DSC02159.jpg

DSC02169.jpg

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DSC02170.jpg

The 14-Bolt FF swap was easy. I swear to God it bolted right on! I got it off of a 1998 single rear wheel flat bed. Jesus and I pulled this bitch off at the pick-n-pull with two cresent wrenchs and a wire cutter in an hour! :burnout:

DSC02176.jpg

The old 10-Bolt

DSC02214.jpg

10-Bolt VS 14-Bolt FF

DSC02226.jpg

DSC02230.jpg

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DSC02235.jpg

VICTORY!!!!

DSC02238.jpg

The 14-Bolt get's Jesus' seal of approval....

DSC02240.jpg

.....and mine!

DSC02242.jpg

DSC02246.jpg

This is where I'm at now (01-04-2008) The build is on! :head:

1,932 Posts
WOW! you guys arnt letting ANYTHING get in your way. I thought man pulling the bed and cab... IDK about all that but i guess since they arnt really hooked up to much then why the fuck not? LOL I think where you guys are at it would very easily to finish up the project by the ETA date. Good job and i will be watching this thread! Put that Mexican to work, abuse him a little, make him work long hours, we love hard labor! hahahahah

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
looks good, I'm glad there are starting to be an abundance of build threads here... cosmetic plans? plans on cleaning up the frame

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
This is something I think we've ALL wanted to do at some point in our lives.

MMMMMmmmm Big Block :drool:

Thanks for making a dream of mine come true dude!

PS. I smile when the clock says 4:54, and it's not because I'm about to leave work for the day.

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice progress, but damnit, paint that frame!
Paint the frame?! I want the truck to go faster not look better!!!! :D

Really nice job on this! Keep it up guys.
We gotta keep it up to meet the deadline!

WOW! you guys arnt letting ANYTHING get in your way. I thought man pulling the bed and cab... IDK about all that but i guess since they arnt really hooked up to much then why the fuck not? LOL I think where you guys are at it would very easily to finish up the project by the ETA date. Good job and i will be watching this thread! Put that Mexican to work, abuse him a little, make him work long hours, we love hard labor! hahahahah
LOL! If I gotta pull the cab I'll do it! Same with the bed! I hope we can finish the build in time, we just had a huge storm that knocked out the power all Friday so we didn't get to work on it any yesterday. I'll let Jesus comment on the Mexican statement! :roflsquared:

looks good, I'm glad there are starting to be an abundance of build threads here... cosmetic plans? plans on cleaning up the frame
I don't have any cosmetic plans for the build, I want this truck to look the same after the build as it did before. The only thing that will be noticable will be the 14-Bolt rear end and the 8-Lug rear rims that are slightly different than the front.

dude! thats awesome! beefy drivetrain now:anitoof:
Yeah, it's damn near all replaced except that damn front end. I'm thinking about buying a 9.25 front end and seeing what it will take to install into the 1500 frame. I don't expect it to swap right in but if it will I'll be happy. After a while I'll build up the 454 a bit and swap the frame to a 3500 frame that will be cut down to RCSB size. So, if the 9.25 doesn't bolt into the 1500 frame I'll have it for the 3500 frame.

This is something I think we've ALL wanted to do at some point in our lives.

MMMMMmmmm Big Block :drool:

Thanks for making a dream of mine come true dude!

PS. I smile when the clock says 4:54, and it's not because I'm about to leave work for the day.
:shake: I'll be sure to get a lot of pictures throughout the build and movies after! I'll help you out with part numbers and information if you ever want to put a big block in your 2-Door Blazer (I think it was a Blazer). :shake:

Good work. How's it gonna pass smog in Cali with all the emmissions items removed?
SMOG is the least of my worries, Jesus has the hookup in the Bay Area so we should be set!

1 - 20 of 219 Posts