GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I just got this tune a couple of weeks ago but things arose and now I have to sell off a few of the things I have......this is the economy tune- it removes the speed limiter, firms shift points, improves mileage (also called an open tune-it'll work with an intake and electric fans). From my experience, it works great. Takes 10 minutes to install. $75 and its yours shipped to your door (in the lower 48 anyway).

·
Registered
785 Posts
Should note the model year of your vehicle. 99-02 trucks use a 512kb PCM with red/blue connectors, 03+ trucks use a 1mb pcm with red/green connectors. The two are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
785 Posts
so even if the PCM is tuned for one VIN, it will work in another truck?
It *should*. I can test it in a few minutes. I wouldn't use a PCM that was set up for a vehicle older than yours or with different options (eg, e-fans vs no fans, reg alt vs high amp alt).

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
not sure if this is relevant, but I just switched from a 99 operating system to a 2002 operating system(Thanks to JustinSS). My wait4me was sent to me unlocked as well. Basically the tune itself will work for any 512kb pcm. Like said, it needs to be checked if a vin specific pcm will work on another truck

·
Registered
785 Posts
not sure if this is relevant, but I just switched from a 99 operating system to a 2002 operating system(Thanks to JustinSS). My wait4me was sent to me unlocked as well. Basically the tune itself will work for any 512kb pcm. Like said, it needs to be checked if a vin specific pcm will work on another truck
Welcome. :shake:

As for the VIN change. I incremented my vin by a digit and it started right up. I'd say that there are no problems. But can't speak for all vehicle configurations (perhaps the body control module might freak out in some cases). It's VERY easy to reprogram though, and if anyone with even a scan version of EFILive is nearby they can take care of it.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Welcome. :shake:

As for the VIN change. I incremented my vin by a digit and it started right up. I'd say that there are no problems. But can't speak for all vehicle configurations (perhaps the body control module might freak out in some cases). It's VERY easy to reprogram though, and if anyone with even a scan version of EFILive is nearby they can take care of it.
Justin, just something to add that you might want to tell people if they go to a different OS, is that YOU NEED TO DO A CRANK RELEARN. My truck wasn't idling for shit, and it was pulling timing like crazy. I did a crank relearn and for some reason the change was amazing. It felt like the damn crank relearn gave me 30 rwhp.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Justin, just something to add that you might want to tell people if they go to a different OS, is that YOU NEED TO DO A CRANK RELEARN. My truck wasn't idling for shit, and it was pulling timing like crazy. I did a crank relearn and for some reason the change was amazing. It felt like the damn crank relearn gave me 30 rwhp.
Good to know. It's *supposed* to save that CASE data if the box is checked in the CASE tab, but it might be off by default, or not apply properly with a 99 to 02 upgrade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts