GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much power would a bd1001 give to one w7 (3ohm)? I know a jl 1000/1 would be the best option but if i go this route i can get a really good deal

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
imo 1000 is too much for a 10w7...

and yes you can fit 2 10w7 under the rear seat you just need to fiberglass and make the box a front firing box (take a look at my fiberglass progress pics and that other box i posted up is for 2 10w7 under a sierra's seat (i didnt build that one though)

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its not going to give it 1000rms....its rated at 1000 at 2ohms and i'm thinkin it will be around 700rms at 3.

so there is enough airspace to fit the requirements?

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also...why would you need to fiberglass the box? Regular mdf wouldn't work?

·
Registered
343 Posts
1000 watts for the 10 will be just fine, make sure gains are set properly, and NO CLIPPING. the 12 will take up to 1500, 13 will take up to 2kW for daily use.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/RP_Chart.html

read the 10w7 power reconmendations from the people that designed the sub. 1000 is pushing your luck with a single 10 (yes i do know people compete with more than that on the w7's)

as far as the reason to use fiberglass is becuase you want to get as much airspace as you can and molding it perfectly to your truck allows this

use a mix of 'glass for the curves and mdf for the str8 peices

·
Registered
343 Posts
Downfall said:
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/RP_Chart.html

read the 10w7 power reconmendations from the people that designed the sub. 1000 is pushing your luck with a single 10 (yes i do know people compete with more than that on the w7's)

as far as the reason to use fiberglass is becuase you want to get as much airspace as you can and molding it perfectly to your truck allows this

use a mix of 'glass for the curves and mdf for the str8 peices
The reason I say 1000 is fine, is because he will be listening to music, which is dynamic. You will rarely see 1kW.

Also, the 10w7 has a very healthy sized coil (~3") as well as one of the best cooling systems on the market. 1kW for music will be just fine.

Now, if you plan on competing or whatever, you could easily fry the coil with 1kW rms continuous.

Anyways, the 10w7 is one hell of a sub, in my opinion, with the w7 line the best you can buy to this day. However, companies are bridging the gap. You guys would be blown away with some of the prototypes companies like RE are coming out with these days..l.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
about a year ago i had a 12W7 on my 1001bd, the voice coil starting to go before i got rid of it... My 1001 was rated at 1430 RMS at 2 ohms...

I'd take a W7 any day... i love thoose subs.... so loud, so clean. I haven't seen the magnet on the 10, but i doubt it owuld fit under your seat unless you lift it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
00Silverado said:
For the price of a W7, give me a RE XXX or a IDMAX any day :read:
lol at the idmax. You don't want to deal with the problems and bullshit of Fred lynch over at ID. The XXX on the other hand is built like a tank, just like the W7. Not to mention the max only has a 2" coil and some of the tighest coil to motor tolerances on the market, this leads to a LOT of rubbing coil :read:

I've had to send 1 brand new idmax twice to ID to be fixed only to have the coil misaligned when I received the sub again :think: I found it quite funny that Fred told me on the phone he tested my sub personally....sure... :pow:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Niche_98Chevy said:
W7's are good, but there is better, and for a lot less money......

Here's an example

Thunder9500Back34.gif
I want to hear one of those 9500's

everybody say mtx sucks but i use to run them when i was 16 and they beat pretty good and lasted a long time

·
Registered
464 Posts
The stereo shop here in town had a set in a ported box on display he had them hooked up to his display with a 1500 watt amp running the pair, and when they hit the first time it knocked the power out of his 2000 watt inverter in the display, the second time ( We were listening to DoggyStyle) They hit hard enough on one song that is cracked the window in the door to his shop! The subs were facing the door, but they were like 10 feet away. There is a guy here that has a set of them in between his seats in a 04 F-150 Lariat, and he went up against a guy with a pair of W7's with about the same power and killed him, the only reason I don't like W7 is cause of the $$$. Otherwise they are great, even though the MTX 9500's are about 1/2 the price of a W7

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lets say if i pick up 2 w7 10's and 2 bd1001 for 800-1000....would it be worth it or should i do something else?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have the same opinions about w7's... they seem a bit overpriced like alot of JL stuff, i would bet you could spend a lot less and have something that sounds just as good as fitting a couple w7's under a back seat in an xcab

1 - 20 of 27 Posts