Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Howard, I've ready your informative tech threads on fsc, pacificp, & pt.net. I appreciate your help and direction on this. It looks like I've found my answer and will get this ordered so I can do my swap!

·
Registered
319 Posts
so would that Racetronix work for my 02 nbs?
Don't think so. I think they're a totally different pump.
The 02's aren't a return fuel system are they?
I'm sure if you emailed 'Racetronix' they'd have something to suit.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
'02 should be the same as '99. I thought all fuel injected vehicles are return systems.

My '02 has 3 fuel lines goint to the pump...

See all that rust on that retaining ring? Huge pain in the ass. It took me hours to get that thing off. Check yours, if it doesn't look brand new then just order one online. They're $13 online, I paid $26 walking into a dealer parts department.

What is the correct tool for removing/installing the retaining ring?

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the correct tool for removing/installing the retaining ring?
I hear guys using a brass punch, so it doesn't cause sparks, to get it out.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Just set the punch against the nubs and whack with a hammer? I used a ratchet extension and a hammer, I was hoping there's something easier...maybe some kind of pin spanner with a lot of leverage or something.

Like this, but much larger (presumably, can't really tell scale from the pic):

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
REMOVAL PROCEDURE

5.Remove the fuel sender unit assembly by turning the cam lock counterclockwise using tool J 39765.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've found a few sale posts for $50 - $75 plus shipping.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The couple of times I've replaced mine, I was able to just tap it around with a screwdriver or similar.
Mine had ZERO rust though???

·
Registered
319 Posts
'02 should be the same as '99. I thought all fuel injected vehicles are return systems.

My '02 has 3 fuel lines goint to the pump...
Just an FYI...may not be relevant to the truck in question.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/Article/46468/Point_of_N.aspx
General Motors and Ford started down the returnless route in 1999, and in 2004, GM went returnless on most of its full-size pickup trucks and SUVs with the Vortec 6000 (LQ4 and LQ9) engines, including the Cadillac Escalade; Chevy Silverado, Suburban and Tahoe; the GMC Sierra and Yukon; and Hummer H2.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far so good. Everything was plug & play & appears to be functioning properly. PSI is maintaining at idle & is up at partial acceleration. I haven't had an opportunity to do a WOT run yet as there are speed traps galore.

Thanks to Howard for the direction on the pump. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't get a knock off Walbro pump made in the far east.

·
More xp Than Most
95 Posts
Holy Cow why the fuck is your locking cam so fuckn rusty? I've got a '93 chevy that I just had to replace the fuel pump in and none of that shit looked that bad.

·
More xp Than Most
95 Posts
Nope not really in central cali. A bit tho I still go over the pass to Nevada every once in a while.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
(Old bump.)
REMOVAL PROCEDURE

5.Remove the fuel sender unit assembly by turning the cam lock counterclockwise using tool J 39765.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2975/3421/32436710076_large.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I've got a line on one of these for a decent price, but now I think that one is actually for GMT355 and G-body cars. That's how it's described. A repair manual tells me that for our trucks we need J 45722.

Does anyone know for sure? Will the J 39765 do the job even though it's not exactly right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.