GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just making sure that I am doing this right. I going to the chevrolet dealer to purchase 3 quarts of auto track fluid 2 for my 2004 chevrolet z71 crewcab with the NP8 transfer case. Is there anywhere else that I could buy this fluid at, or even if there is a better oil? Lastly, I need to change the front differential fluid. Should the front diff take 3 quarts or 2? Does it take 75w-90w synthetic or just regular gear oil? Lastly, has anyone heard of a leaking transfer case due to a clip rubbing through the rear of the case and leaking oil? I think it's called a pump rub. I don't have the symptoms nor do I have any pin hole leaks, but I was just wondering how common it is with the 1500 4wheel drive gmt800's.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Just making sure that I am doing this right. I going to the chevrolet dealer to purchase 3 quarts of auto track fluid 2 for my 2004 chevrolet z71 crewcab with the NP8 transfer case. Is there anywhere else that I could buy this fluid at, or even if there is a better oil? Lastly, I need to change the front differential fluid. Should the front diff take 3 quarts or 2? Does it take 75w-90w synthetic or just regular gear oil? Lastly, has anyone heard of a leaking transfer case due to a clip rubbing through the rear of the case and leaking oil? I think it's called a pump rub. I don't have the symptoms nor do I have any pin hole leaks, but I was just wondering how common it is with the 1500 4wheel drive gmt800's.
Only can get the auto trac fluid at the dealer and there is no substitute. I believe pump rub is only on the 2500 and 3500's. And Im not sure on capacities either. You could use either syn or regular gear oil in the front diff.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
Only can get the auto trac fluid at the dealer and there is no substitute. I believe pump rub is only on the 2500 and 3500's. And Im not sure on capacities either. You could use either syn or regular gear oil in the front diff.
you can buy AC delco auto trac at any literally any parts store now

front axle is fine with 80w90

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Justin and Jim. I believe the Transfer case fluid is the original and the the front diff is too. I'll check Napa or OReillys for the AutoTrak II fluid. How many quarts do you suggest?. Just further information guys, since I owned it last year with 110K miles, the 2004 Z71 -5.3L has had a transmission flush and installed a new a AC Delco filter & pan gasket set with a corvette servo. Lastly, I installed a Aluminum polished finned differential fluid cover and replaced the fluid with Royal Purple Synthetic gear oil. So far so good, especially with the traditional Blackbear tune. Truck is otherwise stock except for a K&N cold air intake. New AC Delco plugs, wires, hoses, belts, a SLP 160 degree thermostat, and brakes have been updated with a powerstop one-click brake kit, Rusell brake lines and AC Delco rear parking brakle shoes and all new hardware.
So far it runs strong and I run Mobil 1 extened 5w-30 oil with AC Delco oil filters. Only probelm is the front part of the headliner is starting to come down. OOps, I went to far and told you my life story. Anyways, thanks again.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
you can buy AC delco auto trac at any literally any parts store now

front axle is fine with 80w90
No shit?? I didn't know that. I looked at the advanced auto and autozone near me and they didn't have it. Maybe I'll look at napa

·
Registered
276 Posts
1500's had problem with pump rub too. Mine rubbed a hole around 180,000 miles.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you repair the transfer case or did you replace it? I know that a company sells a reinforcement plate that eliminates the clip. I heard about this issue on YouTube. Kinda concerned me quite a bit. So far I have no rattling or leaks yet. I wonder why I never heard it in this forum? I think it should be a sticky here regarding the pump rub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts