GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K, i have a few questions, i have looked at the superlift and pro-comp 6" lifts and a few others.
What is the best lift, quality fit, fit and finish?
What would be the proper gear ratio needed for 35" tires

I use this truck for towing my car and open trailer (about 6500 lbs)...would lifting and bigger tires create any problems with towing capacity?

thanks for any help that can be offered.
later
larry

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Ok, first of all do you know the difference between a spindle and full drop lift? The superlift and Procomp are full drop lifts which IMO is a better design. Out of those two I think the Procomp is a bettr choice hands down, the superlift isnt as well built, has a multiple part sub frame which is bolted together like an erector set etc... I used to like the lift alot but the more research I do on it the more problems I find with it. Both will give you the same about of lift. The only complaint I have with the procomp is the powder coating on it isnt the best. I also beat the crap out of mine though, so that probably accounts for some of why its chipped up, I dont think any powder coat would hold up through what I deal out. I have 35" tires and run the stock 3.73 gears, they do ok, but a more efficiant gear ratio would be 4.10 or 4.56. If you already have 4.10 you would be in a good position, if you have 3.73 and want to upgrade you might as well go to 4.56. Also read the lift specs sheet tech page, it will help you compare lifts.

http://homepage.mac.com/darketernal/NBSlifts.htm

also her are some pics of mine with the 6" procomp, 16x10 weld super single wheels and 35" X-Terrains.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definately would go with the full drop, i think my truck has 3.42's. One of the lift's (i believe it was superlift) that i was looking at had some new revolutionary knuckle lift, what is that?
I have already looked thru the lift tech spec sheet.

What about towing?

thanks for the reply
later
larry

·
6,656 Posts
The superlift knuckle lift is on the lift specs sheet, its nothing to special. It doesnt widen teh track width like most knuckle lifts do but still nothing special. Its also a bit shorter than most otehr knuckle lifts. As far as towing the only difference will be from the tires, bigger tires = less power, regearing can fix this. If you put 4.10 or 4.56 gears in you will be able to tow BETTER than you do now if you only have 3.42s. All you will need is a bigger drop hitch. Ive done lots of towing with my truck without a problem.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
I doubt you have 3.42's you probably have 373's or 4.10's.

p.s. DE nice cv angles back in the day hehe

·
6,656 Posts
That was definatly back in the day. They were actually flatter than that, my driveway is pretty steep and pulled in like that it takes some load off my front end and makes them look steeper.

I know its hard to see but this is what they are now on flat ground with ford keys cranked up so my front fenders are at 48" with my tiny ass tires! They really arnt bad at all, ive had no problems, I wouldnt go any more though.

Note: you can also see my busted ass shock in that pic, broke it making it that dirty!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kyle, You are correct, i just took a look and they are indeed 3.73's.

DE-if you were to do another 6" lift which system would you use of all the available.

thanks again
larry

·
6,656 Posts
If I had to do it all over again and HAD to do a 6" IFS lift I would probably use the procomp again. The CST kit is very very nice but I dont think I could justify the extra money for it unless I got a good deal on it. I would definatly use a full drop kit, and I would definatly not use the superlift. This only leaves the fullthrottle, procomp and CST. The fullthrottle is way over priced for a 6" kit, the CST as well. Thats why I woulc choose procomp. Its a very stout kit. Only thing I would do is put 6" springs in the back instead of blocks.

On a side note, I wouldnt do a 6" lift again, I would go bigger right away If I wanted to keep the IFS, like a 9.5" or 12" Full Throttle.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks DE,
The main reason i want to stay with the 6" lift is the lift laws here in Michigan are very strict and rediculously low. we used to have alot of trucks running around here with huge blocks between the springs and axles running 44's, which was not very safe.

later
larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks sevenfold,

But right now i'm just doing my research, not quite ready to purchase. hopefully maybe by late summer i'll be ready. I guess it depends if my car holds together for one more year or not.

thanks again
later
larry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts