GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isnt the right place to ask but its performance related. I want to turbo my 94 LX, I was going to bag it but for the same price I can do a turbo, and thats more fun :imo. Ive been looking at the first and fifth kits on this page. http://www.turbo-kits.com/92-95_civic_turbo_kits.html Both are complete kits and I wouldnt need to buy anything else to make it work correct? Which would be better?

And what kind of muffler would sound the best on this car? Without the ricer sound?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
not sure about mufflers but i can tell you the first one has allot more stuff to offer. one thing you dont wanna do on a turbo is go cheap. make sure you get a turbo that has some kinda reputation for being good and a hole kit which will save you a hole lotta headache.

·
Banned
117 Posts
i use to have a d16vtec with a greddy turbo kit. i would visit d16turbo.com or turbod16(forgot the name but either one). you'll find out everyhing you need to know there. if its a not a vtec i recomend you get a vtec head. one there cheap and 25 hp mode right there. but those little engines have potential man ran a 13.6 on 9 ps1 with stock motor and a few bolt ons. send be a message if you have any question i would be glad to help buddy

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
also, im not a fan of fart can sound exhaust. i would say either greddy, tunabi, apexi or pacesetter. very nice sound exhuast not to loud.

peace out brothers

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something I didnt think about is the miles on the engine, 207,669. Would it be asking for trouble with many miles?

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Buy a B16A and build an all-motor car. Then if you've got money left over you can turbo it. That D-series motor won't last much longer with a turbo because you WILL drive the shit out of it. A DOHC swap is also much more reliable.

·
AAAAHHHH
3,595 Posts
Deciding on a muffler for a Honda should be the LAST thing you do.

Don't do any fart can style bolt on. Do a full Cat-Back, Turbo-back etc...

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy a B16A and build an all-motor car. Then if you've got money left over you can turbo it. That D-series motor won't last much longer with a turbo because you WILL drive the shit out of it. A DOHC swap is also much more reliable.
That wouldnt be a bad idea. What does that engine come in factory? How much money would I be looking at to get around 200 HP all motor?

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
This is what you need: http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30005

That's a very reputable company too. That motor comes stock in the JDM Civic SiR and for $2,250 it's a complete changeover. I don't know about other people, but I can do the swap and have it running in 2 days. If you've got some extra money, you could drop in a B18C1 (94-01 USDM Integra GSR). It's 170hp stock...

I've seen a few people locally send the block to RS Machines as a core and get one back that's been sleeved. That's around $700 and makes the bottom-end bulletproof. Endyn or Arias pistons $400, a set of rods (do not use Eagle!), and the block is done. For the head you could do a mild port/polish job, then buy the Rocket Motorsports cams and valvetrain. Skunk2 Intake Manifold and a good cold air intake and your set. Should be under $2,000 for all those parts, and it would be a beast. You'd only get about 200 hp, but remember it's a Honda and is very lightweight.

If you bought a complete swap, at least buy a new clutch and pressure plate. Other than that they drop right in and have a start-up guarantee.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
yeah id go with a jdm swap and turbo it later when you get the $$$

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That much power is going to be useless unless you do alot of suspension work. Take care of the suspension first, and build the motor. The motor won't last long under boost, with that many miles. An all motor car, with a decent suspension should go very low 13's all day long.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About the new clutch/pressure plate, mines an auto. The trans that comes with that is an 5 speed Id assume? And whats the LSD trans option? So that is a complete setup, I could drop it in with no other parts needed for it to run? What about once I do all the other mods how do I get it tuned right? Whats the diff in the USDM and the JDM? I wont have a problem passing emissions will I?

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That much power is going to be useless unless you do alot of suspension work. Take care of the suspension first, and build the motor. The motor won't last long under boost, with that many miles. An all motor car, with a decent suspension should go very low 13's all day long.
Thats what I want to see, low 13s on all motor and then turbo it later. About what would it run in the 1/4 with a turbo if it runs low 13s all motor?

Another noob question, with a swap like that if I were to break down on the road one day will I have problems finding parts locally?

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
With all those questions, you need to join Honda-tech and start reading. Under the 92-95 Civic forum there's a FAQ thread with all the info you need.

You'll never have trouble finding parts. Ever!
You could easily do an auto-to-manual swap (I've even got a few parts for that)
The trans from the SOHC motor won't bolt up to the DOHC motor
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. means it's been brought to the states on a slow boat from China (or somewhere of the like)
USDM = United States Domestic Market.
Honda's don't need a lot of suspension work. A good set of full bodied coilovers like the Omnipower's, sway bars, and front strut bar and you're golden.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With all those questions, you need to join Honda-tech and start reading. Under the 92-95 Civic forum there's a FAQ thread with all the info you need.
Ive been reading, I fucking hate trying to understand this Honda shit. Im ready to say fuck it.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
It's easy, I promise. You'll spend more time asking questions then it would take to read it in those threads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts