GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
03 Silverado in progress
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well all my parts are coming in tomorrow and my two buddies bailed on me to help with the lift this weekend. It's a 6" rough country on a 03 Silverado Z71. If I attempt this by myself will I regret it? It's my daily driver and it's gotta be ready by Monday mornin.

·
Registered
351 Posts
DO IT! If you can follow instructions and turn a wrench you can install that kit. Especially being a knuckle lift. I did my procomp bracket lift and had it done in 2 days (my first time ever doing a lift). But it all depends how hard you want to work and how bad you want it on!

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,282 Posts
Read the instructions, prepare all of the tools needed. Get under the truck and get comfortable with whats what and where. Then tackle it. I think you can have it done in a weekend easy. Maybe even start on Friday night just to get that extra step. The best part, looking at it after you are done and anytime thereafter and being able to say you did it yourself. Also you will familiarize with your truck.

·
im new
551 Posts
just start taking shit apart and before you know it you'll be done

im with this guy

ya just read the instructions and DO WORK SON, id go ahead and get under there today and spray whatever you need to take apart with some pb blaster or something like that. good luck man

·
03 Silverado in progress
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DO IT! If you can follow instructions and turn a wrench you can install that kit. Especially being a knuckle lift. I did my procomp bracket lift and had it done in 2 days (my first time ever doing a lift). But it all depends how hard you want to work and how bad you want it on!
Did you use air tools?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Did you use air tools?
yea for the most part. it makes things much faster. Just be sure and go behind every nut and bolt and torq it all down by hand. NEVER trust air tools to properly tighten everything.

·
03 Silverado in progress
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i've done a couple body lifts but never a suspension....i'm thinking it will prob take about 10 hours total

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Mine took about 18 hours total in my drive way with mostly hand tools. It was easy to do just time consuming. I looked at a lot of pics of installs before I did mine which made it easier IMO. It can be done, its not as hard as people make it seem. I know that you will need a huge socket like a 30mm or something like that for the hub. just make sure you have all your tools in line ready to go so you arent fumbling over stuff.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,152 Posts
DO IT! I've done 2 BL and 2 suspensions, and the first suspension was on mine with basic hand tools in a drive way. it's hard not at all, just remember where things go. take pictures if you have to. saves a lot of time putting things on the right side they came off. sounds like it wouldn't happen, but you'd be surprised.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
DO IT! I've done 2 BL and 2 suspensions, and the first suspension was on mine with basic hand tools in a drive way. it's hard not at all, just remember where things go. take pictures if you have to. saves a lot of time putting things on the right side they came off. sounds like it wouldn't happen, but you'd be surprised.
:pissed:

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Just make sure you have a socket and a wrench for all the hardware in the kit and you should be fine. That and a lot of PB, and try to start on friday and take your time. Put an extra jackstands and the tires under it for piece of mind.

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,282 Posts
HAHA, I put my LCA on the wrong sides. I was getting pissed b/c I couldnt get the coil over back in. :ninja:

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
HAHA, I put my LCA on the wrong sides. I was getting pissed b/c I couldnt get the coil over back in. :ninja:
That's exactly what we did. :flame:

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
the RCX kit? its pretty damn easy to install. make sure you have a mini sledge and a pickle fork. the hammer is useful for everything, and the pickle fork is needed to separate the balljoints from the knuckles. just pry up the boots with a screwdriver, and wedge the pickle fork under them, and you won't damage the boots.

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
My cognito took 3 evenings after work and it was my first ifs lift i had ever done. I was by myself using only hand tools. Putting the front diff in alone is the hardest part by far. While you have it all torn apart, shoot some paint under there too (frame, lca, cv shafts, etc). Makes it look a shit ton better. If i would have waited for the weekend, one day would have been plenty.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
the RCX kit? its pretty damn easy to install. make sure you have a mini sledge and a pickle fork. the hammer is useful for everything, and the pickle fork is needed to separate the balljoints from the knuckles. just pry up the boots with a screwdriver, and wedge the pickle fork under them, and you won't damage the boots.
Good advice here. Pickle forks and a BFH helped a lot.

Make SURE to do a tool inventory vs. the instructions before you start. I made sure I had everything needed (plus duplicates of many) and that saved us having to make any trips to the store.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts