GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1999 extended cab nbs. The floor on the passenger side is getting wet I think only when it rains. I pulled up the carpet and I can't see anywhere that it may be coming in. It's only on the floor, not the firewall or trans hump and not under the front seat either. I think it may be the weather stripping near the floor but I'm not sure. I don't thnk it's the coming from the top or window. No water On the headliner or doors. Is there anywhere else that it may be coming from? Any suggestions? There are some spot welds on the floor that hold a brace from the drivers to pass side under the truck. I hosed it down and the only place I saw any water buildup was on the weather stripping on the floor. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its definitely water, and only when it rains, i thought it may have been from the ac or something but it only builds up when it rains. i took the plastic door sill off, so now the water just accumulates in the channel that the door sill covers, so my carpet is staying dry.

from what i can tell, its dripping down the front of the door on the metal like its supposed to, then where it starts to curve near the floor it follows the curve and it builds up on the bottom weather stripping where the plastic door sill sits and then overflowing onto the carpet. i don't know why its doing like that and not draining outside of the truck. kind of hard to explain and picture. any other ideas

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
I have/had the same problem (rear passenger floor wet after rain), but haven't really made much effort. I have added extra thickness to the weatherstrip where I thought it was coming in and tried bending the door a little.

I've read that it comes in through the center high mounted stop light (3rd brake light) and runs down stuff until it ends up on the rear passenger floor. I don't know if that's true or not.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its my front carpet thats getting wet. the back is bone dry so i don't think its coming form the third brake light.

i'll look into the ac vent thing, mine is a nbs though and it seems to be coming more from the door area than the air conditioner stuff area but i'll certainly give it a look. thanks for the input

the reason i think its coming from around the door and not the ac is i if i have the plastic door sill trim off, the water just collects in area that door trim covers and the carpet never gets wet unless it rains enough to overflow that area and eventually rise up to the carpet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also had a leak onto the pass side floor...for me it turned out to be too much spray foam from the factory in the cavity behind the pass side kick panel which wouldn't let water drain out through the bottom rear of the front fender and would over flow inside the cab. I made some holes through the spray foam and the water drained out immediately and has been fine since (2 years ago).

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i had same problem after trying tons of things it ended up being the cowl screws onthe passenger side just take them out and fill the hole in with rtv windshield gasket scrw holes in and smooth the excess allaround the screww . i had about 1-2 bups in my floor after a reain after this nothing bone dry hope it helps

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
yeah...old thread...but did you fix the prob? I think I have the same prob in my 04 Yukon. Weather strip does not seal tight along side the dash/ fender area. Water leaks in and puddles up on top of weather stripping groove and then overflows under carpet.

Problem is that the stripping just slips onto a pinchweld. Cante realy adjust that. The only thing is to move door in? But how? hinges are glued on. I tries adding foam stick on weather stripping to door, no luck. All i did for now is to cut a small channel at the bottom of weather stripping to let water flow out. Now my carpet stays dry. But how can We fix the original problem?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats exactly what i ended up doing. cut a notch in the rubber for the water to drain. i gave up on it. never could find where it was coming from nor duplicate the problem unless it rained. carpet stays dry now.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
LOL yup, I guess what ever works!

Mr. 960

thats exactly what i ended up doing. cut a notch in the rubber for the water to drain. i gave up on it. never could find where it was coming from nor duplicate the problem unless it rained. carpet stays dry now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts