GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some reading on several forums on ways to strengthen the IFS on a 2wd 1500 Silverado. I DO NOT want to SAS with this truck, I'll eventually get a Ram 3500 dually after this truck is paid. I just want to know what our options are for folks with 2wd 1500 silverados who just want to beefen up their front end for tires bigger than 35s.

I'm not mudding, I'm not rock climbing, I'm not jumping my truck. My truck is strictly street driven and sees the desert once a month to go to my shooting spot which isn't that bad, just a bit rocky and small little bumps here and there, nothing crazy.

So what parts from what vendors are available to us that's a direct application for our trucks?

Please don't say to SAS or that it's not worth it to get heims for street driven trucks. If people have the money and want to drop it, they'll do it. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated and links too.

I will be upgrading to Nitto Mud Grapplers in 37x13.5r20 soon and want to know if there is anything I should beefen up before doing so.

I currently have FTS UCAs. All the rest of my specs are in my sig.

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
Moog bjs an tres, RCx tie rod sleeves, then the weakest point is your hubs. U could do a 4x4 hub with just the end of the cv an nut on it. Just know that 5-6 ppl I know running lifted 2wds have had a wheel come off bc of failed hubs

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
i feel like my timken hubs should hold better than oem. if you want something really serious you'll have to look at stuff the pre runner guys use, but thats $$$$.

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
FFR Heim Steering and 4WD Hubs... not much else

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
All of the above. Blitzkrieg (sp?) sells a replacement assembly for your hub that includes a new hub, spindle, and serviceable wheel bearings. The kit cost a little bit but it is a good upgrade.

Of course, there is always this:

P1010041_zps86ecb010.jpg

:troll3:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
All of the above. Blitzkrieg (sp?) sells a replacement assembly for your hub that includes a new hub, spindle, and serviceable wheel bearings. The kit cost a little bit but it is a good upgrade.

Of course, there is always this:

P1010041_zps86ecb010.jpg

thats actually not a bad setup, would be nice on a work truck

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
That's the shit! $1249 though and, no, spindles not included. Not sure they make them for nnbs though.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
That's the shit! $1249 though and, no, spindles not included. Not sure they make them for nnbs though.
Spindles are included, they call them "snouts".

There is a misconception of terms here. The spindle is the think that the wheel bearings sit on. The knuckle is the part that the ball joints and tie rods attach to. Example, OBS trucks had "lift spindles" because the actual spindle and steering knuckle were one piece. The 99-Current trucks have "lift knuckles" due to the fact that the hub assembly is removable.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Heim steering or new Moog Inners & outers with tie-rod sleeves. But some Timken 4wd hubs, and get some half shaft from a scrap yard. disassemble the axle and just keep the snout in the hub. NBS or NNBS are the same in 4wd snout wise.

Some Moog Ball joints will help the arms.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have a link or part number? I can't find it on their site. They're in Anaheim about 30 minutes away. I also have Camburg in my vicinity. Maybe I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly, all these names for parts, I'm fucking confused. I still need to study my truck suspension components as I'm fairly new to trucks. Outers Inners?? What's that?

Is there a detailed diagram somewhere of the Chevy front end suspension parts?

·
Roll Tide
868 Posts
I think I may just upgrade the hubs and hope for the best. I don't want to dump too much money into something that may not go bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay so I'm looking at Timken Hubs from Rockauto most likely. Am I supposed to get the 4wd version even though I'm 2wd?

Is the 4wd version a direct drop in for my 2wd?

Thank you very much everyone for the help.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
You have a link or part number? I can't find it on their site. They're in Anaheim about 30 minutes away. I also have Camburg in my vicinity. Maybe I'll give them a call.
How can you not find it?

blitzkrieg-motorsports.com
products
hubs

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Honestly, all these names for parts, I'm fucking confused. I still need to study my truck suspension components as I'm fairly new to trucks. Outers Inners?? What's that?

Is there a detailed diagram somewhere of the Chevy front end suspension parts?
Get a haynes or chilton manual and read. With the mods done on your truck, you would be better served knowing what things are.

Okay so I'm looking at Timken Hubs from Rockauto most likely. Am I supposed to get the 4wd version even though I'm 2wd?

Is the 4wd version a direct drop in for my 2wd?

Thank you very much everyone for the help.
This has been said a couple times in this thread. Go back and re-read.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I'm trying. I'm on google looking at diagrams. I have no one to teach me any of this so it's hard to follow sometimes. I'm a big gun nut and when I introduce people to this industry, I get all kinds of questions all the time on my builds and AR parts and AK parts and I think to myself "this is easy how do they not understand?"

we all have to start somewhere right? I don't refer them to the web though though or tell them to fuck off, I help them anyway I can as we need more like minded people in my area. Too many liberals. Anyway, I appreciate anyone's help here and dumbing things down a bit for me! Really helps.

Thanks

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Thanks. I'm trying. I'm on google looking at diagrams. I have no one to teach me any of this so it's hard to follow sometimes. I'm a big gun nut and when I introduce people to this industry, I get all kinds of questions all the time on my builds and AR parts and AK parts and I think to myself "this is easy how do they not understand?"

we all have to start somewhere right? I don't refer them to the web though though or tell them to fuck off, I help them anyway I can as we need more like minded people in my area. Too many liberals. Anyway, I appreciate anyone's help here and dumbing things down a bit for me! Really helps.

Thanks
You do understand that I am not trying to be an e-thug right? I gave you legit info. Reading is how I came to know what I know. If you have enough synaptic firing capacity between your ears to post on an internet forum and build ARs and AKs, you can surely find the information you are looking for using google and reading comprehension. The same mechanical inclination you possess that allows you to grasp the concept of gun assemblies will allow you to the same with trucks. I also mentioned buying books. There is your starting point.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey Bryan, what happend to the front axles diff in the pic of your truck?

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Hey Bryan, what happend to the front axles diff in the pic of your truck?
Sold the D60. Built the tube axle. For the 2 years the D60 was in the truck, it never saw engine power. Once the motor goes in, it will be a fast mall crawler.

·
Registered
636 Posts
406ci?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts